1867 Shield Nickel...your opinions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Indianhead65, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

Thinking of purchasing this coin soon and I wanted to get opinions on it for grade and if its been cleaned. 20200708_151520.jpg 20200708_151549.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I like the coin, but as far as a cleaning, I would be as happy to learn as you. I don't see any parallel scratches, but I do see (perhaps) abnormally clean fields around devices that seem to have built up dirt.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  4. Indianhead65

Yes...that is what concerns me also.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Maybe Doug @GDJMSP might chime in

Indianhead65 likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have a special affinity for that coin, I love 67 rays nickels for some reason. However, I would say cleaned or overdipped. Many of these turned black, and for some reason when you dipped them some black would stay attached to devices. I have seen tons of shield nickels look just like this over the years.

Now, if the photos are lacking, and there is actually lustrous I could be convinced otherwise, but I have simply seen too many to not have a good expectation of what the coin is.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  7. Indianhead65

Thank you...this helps me a great deal. So I'm thinking the $155 dollar asking price is too much.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

As always, wait for some other opinions here sir. Its a special coin. Very low mintage, but priced barely above the common Rays issue of 1866. I always allow room I could be completely wrong. :)

Indianhead65 likes this.
  9. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Looks like it has been diped in the past but Im not sure. With these old coins so much time has gone by its chances of being cleaned are to great

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Indianhead65 likes this.
  10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Wouldn't do it.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's been cleaned, that's the easy part. At this price no way would I shell out that much for it. I'd rather have a lower graded coin than one that's been cleaned.

dwhiz and Indianhead65 like this.
  12. Indianhead65

Thanks guys!!! You made my decision much easier

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd agree, but I'd say harshly/improperly cleaned.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

I can easily agree with that.

15. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I agree with the majority, cleaned. The buildup around the devices is a strong indicator of a past cleaning to me. Maybe not conclusive, but darn close. Still a nice looking example for the right price.

dwhiz and Indianhead65 like this.
  16. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Is That a possible Die crack near "AM"

17. Collecting Nut

Not possible. It is a die crack.

18. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Did'nt want to appear to be an expert so I phrased it as a Question

Kentucky and Collecting Nut like this.
  19. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

It's always a little dicey when we are asked to give an opinion on a coin which we do not have "in hand" & which is further compromised by a picture through the holder. While I tend to agree with the previous comments, here is something to consider:

What or who is the source of the coin? Where did it come from? Did the seller find it MD'ing?...has it been in his family for awhile? Is the seller a novice or someone who has experience (read: collector) with coins? Is it from a pawn shop or estate sale?...etc., etc.

The pic, taken through a clear material (plastic film) will always be distorted to some degree (sometimes more noticeable than others), & this one (to me) looks as though there is a reflection on the reverse between 10 & 11 o'clock (& other "marks" could just be reflections). "Photographed thru" distortions can wreak havoc on an accurate analysis.

If it is a real, problem free coin, it seems to be a very reasonable acquisition cost for this coin. But with so many questions & things to consider as to the honesty of this coin,...it does seem that you should let this one go. (But if it were me, I have disposable cash & would probably take a run at it - of course, I'm one of those who doesn't get into a tizzy about most cleaned coins - this one most likely been handled by someone who fought in the Civil War!)

JMO :happy:

20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Looks like a Repunched Date...there are several varieties.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Cleaned yes, a keeper yes. No matter what I like it. Good luck and be safe

Indianhead65 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted