1867 Seated Liberty Proof GTG

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Feb 6, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Can you guess the grade of this proof? I have a grade in mind, and I'm thinking about taking a swing at this. But I tend to second guess every little detail I see. So, your expert opinions will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

1867 Seated Liberty Proof.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

No way to tell, proofs are graded by the amount of or lack of hairlines in 65 or less and the fields are over exposed to hide the hairlines.

Edit grade is say pr58

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree. I wouldn't buy this coin based on that picture.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Everyone is correct about not seeing the coin's field and passing on a purchase; yet IMO it is NOT 58!:facepalm:

We have nothing to loose here. From the photo, I'll narrow the range to between 63 and 66. I'm going to bet it has a few random minor hairlines and take a guess at PR-64.

6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

It's a large coin with a lot of open fields. Its odds of having more hairlines is greater with surface area. I say PF-63.

Insider likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Tough to grade a proof from just one set of images. Even with several images, hairlines can be hidden. I would want to see the coin before buying it.

Insider likes this.
  8. KoinJester

Knowing the seller It most likely come out of a problem holder. As for wear @Insider the hair,breast and feathers show breaks in the frost, most likely from "cabinet friction" but still wear

9. Paul M.

Google grades it PR-64. :p
    Screenshot from 2016-02-06 21-59-41.png

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yup, I can tell that it is a proof from those pictures.

I will also tell you that it probably grades less than 70. That is about as far as I'll go with those pics.

11. Insider

@KoinJester I feel like I'm at the race track betting on a horse against seasoned handicappers who know the horse's trainer, and the racing records for both of them!

Nevertheless, IMO any "wear" you see on this coin will be ignored by a TPGS when grading it. I guess I shall see when my horse comes in last.:facepalm::hurting::bigtears:

12. Insider

How did you know? Is this from a Google grading guide? No need for a long post but what did you do to find it? And, in another thread (grading $20) a member on CT implied that it is against the rules to post photos of "other" coins. I apologize for being ignorant as you guys are the long time handicappers.

13. Paul M.

Just google image search for the picture of the coin.

14. Insider

So...A poster puts a photo up of an 1867 Proof and asked the grade. Then you punch the coin into Google search and all the images come up and you find the coin - right?

Then what is the point of GTG? Someone must be able to find the slab somewhere, right? I mean we all like to be correct :happy::smuggrin: when we GTG.

15. Paul M.

It didn't find the coin. Did you see where it said "Your search did not match any documents"? :)

16. KoinJester

The coin in question in the OP is a raw coin being sold on ebay by the infamous. Great Southern coins

OP, at the current price you would be farther ahead to buy one already graded for less money than its current price

17. Paul M.

+1. Run far away, @iPen. GSC is not a good seller to buy from, unless you like cleaned coins.

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Really - they're that bad? Can I read up on this somewhere with before and after pics?

I'm glad I didn't drop some serious cash there last night lol. Some of their photos though appear to be coins straight from proof sets, though those may be one-offs...

19. Insider

I didn't search anything. I'm confused so don't waste more time on me. :banghead: Eventually I'll :oldman: catch on to these new-fangled things.

Yes, just saw it. I did not read that far the first time :eggface::facepalm:

20. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

It's a coin w/ pics I cropped so as not to cause bias.

Here's the original listing below. 107 bids at over $4K! If it was problem free and you all confirmed that it was a high PRooF, that would have been a nice coin. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable with purchasing anything at this price range or higher without asking you all, even if I'm comfortable with the pics lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1867-Seated-Liberty-Dollar-Cameo-PROOF-Stunning-Solid-Gem-PF-Just-625-Struck-/351642976462?hash=item51df8e00ce:g:p-cAAOSwzhVWrO-T&nma=true&si=oiDVbexcfno5s8Tm7e7f5f8TNGw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

By the way, do you all see that emoticon in the link above? lol it must be an auto-format since the specific arrangement of keys is in that address.

21. Paul M.

Draft saved Draft deleted