1866 Shield Nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Paddy54, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Here's a new pick up from the Baltimore show. An 1866 RPD one I have not seen before. This coin may be another one for attribution. This coin has some resemblance to the FS-05 1866-304 but not all. The Ball above the date is smashed, the date is also smashed but clearly repunched. The "8" is tripled punched, two visible one is a ghost like image SE of the bottom of the 8. The 1 is repunched NW of the flag
    Next this coin is missing" IN G" as from my images you'll see OD WE TRUST.
    What makes this even cooler is that the Reverse is a very nicely struck. Please see my Images below. 1866 Shield  2 Obv..jpg 1866 Shield  II We.jpg 1866 Shield II date.jpg 1866 Shield II OD.jpg 1866 Shield II rev..jpg

tommyc03, jj00 and KurtS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Whoa.... just pulled this up on my pad the image of the date. Enlarged to see all 4 numbers have Ghost south of the primary numbers. Variety of the 1866 most of the time have the ghost or repunched numbers to the east of the primary numbers.

4. coop

coop Senior Member

Looks like machine doubling on the entire coin.

5. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

even the denticles

6. Paddy54

Coop if you wouldn't mind not posting your YouTube presentation on every post it would be appreciated . I find it very distracting from the op post. Be the post mine or another members. A link to it would be fine. Thank you!

7. coop

coop Senior Member

8. Paddy54

Thanks it is very informative , just those of us whom use tablets or lap tops with touch screen it activates and runs while you are trying to read the post. Thanks again coop just add a link to your signature so people can click on and watch it on you tube.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    KurtS likes this.
  9. Paddy54

Yes in some parts it does look to be md. However shields are very tricky as even with md it's important to document and add to the data base. True no premium as far as cash goes....however there are more varieties not found then there have been found. The obv. On this coin the die was about to expire however look at the rev. So matching up die pairs can be tricky . Most dies only got 8-10 thousand strikes before they were wore out. That said they would just switch out the bad die to one that still had some life left in it. I will be sending this one in to Howard and get his take on it. Will post his views after he reviews it.

Draft saved Draft deleted