1866 Shield Nickel w Rays grade help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MAKECENTS, Jan 4, 2019.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It seems we all agree that the coin is probably AU details cleaned. I think we all agree that it won't straight grade.
    I don't see any reason to argue past that and the OP has ask the same. I like the coin for what it is.

Paddy54 and MAKECENTS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Good information. Didn't know that.

Paddy54, micbraun and MAKECENTS like this.
  4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

+1

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

His name may not mean anything to you, but it does to me. I know him, his reputation, and his research. If he isn't an expert, he will do until you can find one. I don't always agree with him, but when he talks I LISTEN.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  6. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

There is agreement between you two that the coin is not worth slabbing.

Paddy54 suggested having the coin attributed, which I agree with, after some research if its variety is still uncertain.

We all prefer an original, unaltered coin but coins do land in our collections that will not straight grade. Finding a variety with such a coin is part of the fun of coin collecting.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

No one has really answered the other question though, is dipping a nickel the same as dipping say a morgan dollar? Many people dip their morgans and they slab no problem. Granted I probably would never send this into pcgs but I was just interested to know.

8. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Thank You for your response. Always great to have many perspectives. Appreciate it.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's the same but they only slab as long as they don't kill the luster of the coin with the dip. There is a right and a wrong was to use dip.

10. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Thank You. There is some luster on this particular coin, obviously it is quite subdued which makes sense. I guess the dip was just overdone

11. howards

howards Shield Nickel Nut

IMO, the coin shows AU details. I can't tell from the photos whether there is an RPD or not. If there is, it's very minor and would not be worth a premium.

It is not worth sending this coin to a grading service in hopes of them attributing a variety (because if there is a variety, it's unlisted).

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Not worth slabbing....but still 2x2 worthy.

13. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Haha

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Draft saved Draft deleted