1866 Shield Nickel w Rays grade help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MAKECENTS, Jan 4, 2019.

1. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Not talking about the cuds, talking about the rim hits over TE of STATES and the chatter at RIC of AMERICA.

The lower right cud also looks like it took a hit, but the photos are too blurry to tell.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Thanks, didn't know that.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That's your opinion, and yes you're entitled to it....but from your statements ...you don't know shield nickels,and their varieties......not to mention that there are more unfound varieties ,than those already attributed. The repunch of the last 6 isn't anything compared to what else is going on with this specimen.
    To my eye there's a lot going on...the forest for the trees.:rolleyes:

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Shieldnickels.net

MAKECENTS and Paddy54 like this.
  6. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

As are you. If you think it’s all that and a bag of chips, buy it, slab it, and make a big profit.

7. Paddy54

How many discovery variety coins have you found? :D

8. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

Nice coin /w hardly or no wear , looks like it was dipped at one point or another.

MAKECENTS likes this.
  9. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Quite a few when I was doing large cents back in the 80’s and 90’s. Check out PennyWise form those years. I published a number of articles.

Anyway, since you think a dipped, cleaned coin with some minor die cracks and rim cuds and possibly some repunching on a digits is all that great, why don’t you back it up and offer the guy like 400 for it? Last coin I really liked I bought at that level.

Whoops, forgot to add some of the Seated varieties I found back then. One that sticks in my mind is the 1853 WA repunched date dime. Sold that to Gerry Fortin in the early 90’s at the Red Rose CC show. Nice strong AU55 that would go 62/63 today. He paid me a very nice premium.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  10. Paddy54

Well aren't you special? "Not"!
    Been a member a full 8 days here on CT and we got an expert miracles never cease.....

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

@RittenhouseCU strikes me as an expert who is to be listened to more than corrected. And he has the credentials to back it up. Every expert who posts on CT has to start somewhere, so using their lack of time/posts is folly. It’s like saying something can’t be real because it isn’t slabbed.

12. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Ah, well, aren’t you just the dearest little thing? But that’s besides the point now isn’t it?

I said the coin is a pretty nasty cleaned and dipped piece with rim damage and you claim it’s a super, ultra rare variety with “a lot of stuff going on.” Well, if that’s the case, then offer a price.

Those minor die cracks and rim cuds should well offset the cleaning and damage. 400 too much for you? OK, I’ll let you off the hook. Establish your street cred and offer him 250. Shoot, with all the really important, high value die varieties you discover, you can easily lay off the loss if you’re wrong, right?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  13. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Ah darn Type, you’re a killjoy. I wuz ust havin some fun.

OK, as others have figured out, the name is Craig Sholley. Google “craig sholley coins” or “craig sholley numismatics”. There’s a two of us, we are distantly related. I’m the coin guy, not the gorilla guy.

14. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

I fee like I am a magnet for arguments, everytime I post a coin, there is some sort or argument. Lets not make this a pissing contest guys, I appreciate all the knowledge and help. From everyone. It makes things well rounded. Besides what one person sees as a nice coin the other may hate. Thats ok.

ldhair likes this.
  15. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

$400 will definitely do the trick though haha

16. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Will you let him off at 250? An 1866 SN is certainly a semi-key and brings strong money in decent condition. Despite my comments, your piece appears to be much better than many of the pieces I’ve seen go in the 100 range. Better in-focus, true-color pics would help.

That being said, please, please, in the future purchase PCGS or NCG coins if your spending over 100 bucks. And below that get some PCGS or NGC examples.

As I posted in anothe thread, several of the PCGS founders are my friends and fellow Rittenhouse Society members. One is my best numismatic and very close personal friend. We continjue to have regular discussions.

Believe it or not, the reason for TPG grading was to overcome EXACTLY WHAT I SEE HAPPENING HERE - collectors purchasing over-graded problem coins for “real money.”

So, unless you can pass their grading challenges and get hired, I strongly suggest you purchase PCGS or NCG coins and learn from them. They ain’t perfect, and you do need to understand the concept of “market grading” (some of which I disagree with, and they’re probably tired of hearing me harp on, tho they do listen politely), but it’s still better than buying blind and I can ell you what to avoid.

17. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

I purchased this with a collection. I would be up if I got $50 for it. This was not something I purchased for my personal collection. It was purchased to resell. I agree with you totally about TPGed coins to a point. But if you can buy coins at the right price I would say you were crazy saying no because it is not in a plastic slab

18. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Also, is dipping a nickel the same as silver coins? Because it seems it is commonplace with many 90% silver coins where it is not even considered cleaning. In the case of the coin I have pictured, I do not see any evidence of cleaning besides the color of the coin. Would a dipped Nickel still get into a PCGS holder just like a dipped morgan would?

19. Paddy54

I don't give a rat's butt if he thinks be is the queen of Spain!
    As his name or his post mean nada to Me!
    A member posted a coin asked for comments,he was given opions by myself as well as other well known members..of this forum.
    Then some royal PIA shows up ,who's been a member her for what 11 days?
    No wonder his head fit though the door...... his is not the the demeanor of 99% of the members whom have been here for years.....and gladly help those whom post questions over a specimen.
    Perhasp he can find another forum out on the net to troll....as his presents here isn't bringing anything to the party but a cocky attitude that disrupt this forum.
    That isn't they way we roll here on CT ,and it hasn't been the 10 years I've been a member
    here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Well, are his opinions incorrect? The surfaces of the coin are not original. The repunching is very minor. The details are AU.

What do you value this coin at if it is recorded as the discovery coin for a new variety? That’s the brunt of his challenge.

21. Paddy54

First of all I said from my first post it was a detailed coin in xf to Au .I only added that "it May" be an variety and "it May "be worth having it attributed as such.
    Never said it was a high dollar specimen, never made an offer to buy or intend to.
    Besides myself other outstanding members here posted the same about their views on the specimen the op posted.
    Again not impressed by a Johnny come lately to this forum and starting a huge uproar over the facts that had orginilly posted.
    And that's why theres an iggy button....to turn off those who bring nothing to this membership but attitude and start arguments.

Draft saved Draft deleted