1866 Shield Nickel w Rays grade help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MAKECENTS, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

@MAKECENTS in hand can you see any repunched numbers pre ,post and between the digits? No matter how faint....look close at both 6's .
    The shield nickel probably has more varieties un attributed then any other series .
    The issue is that I at times what looks to be a repunch is many times machine doubling .
    However study some other known 1866 RPD's as some have the same similarities as your coin....it maybe worth having it attributed as it maybe a new find.
    Now again as exciting as that sounds....and as cool as it is.... again shields are famous for having new finds all the time for those whom search them.

chascat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

High AU. With die cracks

MAKECENTS likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Woundering about your last 6. 1866. That might be something to double check

MAKECENTS likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Crack? There are at least ten cracks on that reverse including one cud and possibly a retained cud. There are at least four cracks on the obverse and die reduction or lathe lines just below the crossbars of the cross, and the lower end of the white stripes in the shield. I think the obverse die was polished resulting in the loss of the leaf stems at the top of the wreath.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

To me, definitely looks like some flavor of AU, maybe 53. And yes, it has been cleaned but, given the high state of preservation, I don’t find the look at all offensive. In fact IMHO it’s really nice. But that’s me; your mileage may differ.....

Dynoking likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Would the weak strike with the AT in states. Knock it down a bunch in the AU classification???

8. Paddy54

The coin is detail cleaned the weak strike is due to the alloy used...plus the extra thickness of the platchet.
    If you ever get a shield in hand it is hard to see but if you notice the coin is smaller by a fraction in diameter and also a tad bit thicker. Thus you had one heck of a hit from the die into the blank hit.
    If you get the opportunity to compare any other nickel series to a shield you'll see what I am saying.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Let me try to get a nice picture of the date for the 6s as requested. You all have been so helpful. Apologies for the pictures. Two min back with a close image.

10. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

I wish I had my loupe, I cannot seem to find it. But this is the best I can do for zoom with a 5X mag.

Attached Files:

11. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Very tough to tell, appears to be some doubling of the last 6 at the bottom of the 6, I have tried to add more photos, hopefully they help.

12. Paddy54

That is an rpd.....maybe a new one....you need to have it attributed. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the end results.

13. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Are you saying get it slabbed? I feel like the price of slabbing is so expensive, do you think it will be worth it? I realize its all opinion

14. Paddy54

No not slabed but send it in to get it attributed as to the Variety.

15. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Oh, thats a good idea. I am more of a morgan guy, I know the VAMS websites is there a particular one for Nickels?

16. Paddy54

Shieldnickel.net

17. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Thank You for you knowledge, I will check that out and get back to you with what I have found from them.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Send it where? If you send it to the TPG's and it isn't a variety that they recognise it will just come back as a regular shield nickel with no attribution.

19. Paddy54

Shield nickels.net does attributions he can send it there,get the Variety, then have it slabed if that's what he cares to do.

20. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

There appears to be minor repunching on the last 6, but that's not a premium variety.

The coin is AU, but dipped and cleaned, with some rim damage on the reverse. It is unlikely to straight grade and the coin is not worth the fees.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  21. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

There is no damage on the rim. They are cuds.

Draft saved Draft deleted