1866 Shield Nickel w Rays grade help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MAKECENTS, Jan 4, 2019.

1. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Having trouble grading. Seems like it has such a weak strike. I am having a bit of difficulty. Hope you guys and gals can help grade.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

It's impossible for me to establish a grade from a picture taken in that lighting. Is there a way you can take another couple pics with flash?

It looks AU to me, but the lighting has made it impossible to determine the originality of the surfaces, the luster, and absence or presence of hairlines.

Magnus87 likes this.
  4. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Let me try. Sure

1916D10C likes this.
  5. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

Better?

Attached Files:

old49er and SlipperySocks like this.
  6. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I would estimate EF40. I'm sure that's a variety of some sort.

I was thinking rim damage but that looks like a late die state with those cracks.

7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I didnt even look at the new photos and im around 40

8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

That's a lot of action on that coin.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

You guys are a bit too hard with this coin, I’d say it’s a point or two higher. Xf45-Au50. It was weakly struck and likely dipped at some point but it doesn’t have too much wear IMO.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Nice die crack on the reverse.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

AU55

Magnus87 likes this.
  13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

AU50...Die cracks, cuds

USS656 likes this.
  14. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

I was looking on pcgs, there is a die crack reverse that has some value to it. It is very tough to find info on shield nickels like this any suggestions?

15. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

To me, the color looks funny too. Maybe dipped somewhow? There are no hairlines that are noticeable.

16. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

I know with Morgans and other silver coins dipping is hmmm, acceptable if done correctly. I won’t start on how I feel about that, but is it acceptable with Nickels?

17. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

AU 55, weak strike; color seems off to me (cleaned); die cracks, etc., are not rare for these nickel coins but this one has a lot going on. Good study piece.

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Au. Cleaned details. This is a weak strike as this is the beginning of the true nickel. The mint had no pryor experence striking in the nickel/copper alloy. Plus in 1866 the nickel was thicker not by much but enough to cause strike issues in the new alloy.
    Most dies only lasted 10,000 or less strikes, which explaines why so many die cracks,cuds and die failures.
    The op coin maybe a repunched date, however that only could be determine in hand as the hard strike did cause a lot of machine doubling taking a little bounce .

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Taking a second look...there looks to be another 6 east of the last 6 in the date. The image isn't clear enough to make a call but if it is there game changer for sure

20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

21. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

This is important to know and it is why I don't pay premiums for shield nickels with these features. They are fun to collect though.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted