1866 RPD Snow 5

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Boot, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Boot

Boot Junior Member

A couple of question about this coin. 1) Is this a Snow 5 variation? 1 8 6 repunch visible to my eyes. 1866obv1a.jpg 1866date1.jpg 2) Grade in the AUs? There is some luster especially on the Reverse.

Attached Files:

Paddy54 and HoosierDaddy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I'm thinking some die fatigue might be the cause of the faintness of the one diamonds. It doesn't look like the sharpest strike. MS 60 ish? Humbly, I'm still trying to improve my grading skill in the AU/MS ranges. Also trying to pick up on cleaned coins/retoned. I do wonder if this one was cleaned in the past. The reverse looks good, but I wonder about the front. I will have follow on pictures in better light later.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I say yes to the repunched date no question there, pretty coin. I do believe it's been cleaned and retoned.
    Nice variety and find,

KurtS and Boot like this.
  5. Boot

Boot Junior Member

The last one I had from this person looked pretty bright, plus some (recent/year) oxidation. This one appears to have more luster, especially on the back. I hope (we) are wrong about the cleaning.

6. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Agreed--it's the Snow-5. It's paired with two reverses, one of which has a big retained cud. :)

Boot and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Yes, trimmed the image to protect us from e-bay directed conversations of any kind...

Draft saved Draft deleted