1866 civil war check

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SorenCoins, Apr 10, 2015.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

got it for $3

Attached Files:

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. justbored

justbored Active Member

The Civil War ended in 1865 :)

4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, not related to the war in any way but a steal at $3. Pretty awesome.

5. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

It's a little hard to tell from your photos (and my neck only tips so far) but this looks like it might be a receipt or a bill from a gas company.

Coin-Dude likes this.
  6. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Definitely from a time when penmanship was taught in schools.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I just sold a 1865 receipt/check for bales of cotton. img364.jpg

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

With all due respect to our Southern neighbors, the War ended officially in 1865 but continued on in a much smaller scale through 1866.

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Very nice acquisition Soren.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Turned it around for you. You are correct. 1 1866 check.jpg

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And gas was only 25 cents a cubic foot!

SorenCoins and Hommer like this.
  12. justbored

justbored Active Member

Actually it ended "officially" in April of 1866, with Andrew Johnson's declaration. For all intents and purposes it ended in 1865 with the surrender of the major armies, the most realistic of which being Gen. Johnston's army and the last of which being Gen. Kirby Smith's in Texas in late May of 1865. To say that the Civil War itself continued after that is at best a bit of a stretch to say the least. Texas yada, yada, yada. It ended in 1865.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

The horrific loss of life on the battlefields is indeed mercifully over. The unimaginable horror of homes and fields and towns being burned and ravaged is over and done. Most of us "Southern neighbors" have put the Lost Cause behind us and moved on with our lives and with living. We just want to live and let live and ask only that others do the same. Unfortunately we're seeing once again an uptick in political correctness that seeks to abolish a heritage. Enough already. We ask only for respect and courtesy as we offer the same. Every time I visit the nearby Vicksburg National Battlefield Park I come away with tears for the dead, military and civilian. It's over and price has been paid on BOTH sides.
    Okay, I've turned the emotion button off, hoping I've offended no one.

Draft saved Draft deleted