1865 Cent - Plain or Fancy 5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BostonMike, Mar 20, 2015.

1. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Had a pretty good find last weekend. Clearing out a house of relative that passed away and found an old change jar with some good coins. A lot of Indian Head cents with the oldest being 1862 in good shape, among some other coins from 1860's through 1940's. (The house is old, and the family had lived in it since late 1800's)

Just trying to ID some of the varieties. 1865 Cent in decent circulated shape. What's your opinion? Plain or fancy 5? I've been staring at photos all day and can't decide.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Excuse the debris on the microscope lens. I should have taken 5 mins to clean it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I'm going to go with a plain 5, don't think it has quite enough of a dip to be considered fancy. Still a great looking coin and one I would like to have in my collection.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

here is a photo 1 1865 cent photo.jpg for comparison.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Plain five, the top of the fancy five is curvier.

7. coinman1234

Also, Any silver coins?? Very cool thing to find, that is something I could only dream of.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The 6 also has the bulb on the top, not flat like the plain.

coinman1234 likes this.
  9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@tommyc03 , thanks for posting the two varieties.

It's definitely a plain 5.

tommyc03 and coinman1234 like this.
  10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

11. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Yes, a few. Common date circulated washingtons, SLQ's and some merc dimes. Went through them, not much more than silver content there.

Got a few 1890's V nickels as well.

About 10 or so indian heads. Scattered dates from 1862-1909. The 1862 is a nice coin, i should post a pic.

There was also a 1958 Bermuda Crown, .750 SS i believe. Very good condition coin here, almost UNC.

There was a lot of Irish coinage as well. A few silver florins. Oldest was 1928 but a few from the 40's as well.

Couple British Pennys. Oldest was 1897 with some interesting marks. I might make a thread about this.

Last owner of the home was also a WW2 vet. Outside of the scope of this forum but i also found his medals in this tin. He was in the Pacific around the Phillipines, and I found a 5 Peso Japanese Occupation Note in the stash as well. Very nice shape, serialized. I'm going to assume he took it back with him.

My fave coin from the lot is the 1862 Cent

coinman1234 and tommyc03 like this.
  12. coinman1234

I agree with you, old copper is cooler than modern Junk Silver.

13. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

The 1862 Cent

[​IMG]

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

5 Pesos Phillipines Occupation Currency

[​IMG]

15. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

And an 1897 British Penny I would like except for the stamp on it. It has P.C. stamped into it on both sides. Any thoughts? I had a couple more Penny's too. 1908 and 1922.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted