1865 3cn

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gronnh20, Jan 21, 2017.

1. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

So, I went to the coin show today. This is the only time I get a chance to buy coins in slabs. Today I found this 1865 3cn. I didn't have this coin type. It has clashes on the obverse and reverse. Can you have a doubled clash?(rhetorical) My pictures don't show the entire clash. As usual I always go on ebay and look to see how I did. I found coins in the same grade and higher on ebay. I feel like the coin I have is better than any coin I found on ebay.

What I found is the roman numerals, especially the first I, usually lack full details. Liberty's crown lacks complete jewel details(the round things on the top of the crown). Liberty's hair also usually lacks detail. Or maybe even a weak strike in the hair area.

Do clash marks take away from the grade? I would think not. Like bag marks and the like. My question is does this coin look under graded? It does to me. These are the best pics I could get. The first set of close-ups show the clashing best. The second show the truer color of the coin. I paid $150.00 for the coin for those that were wondering. Book is $160.00 in all retail outlets. DSCN9456.JPG DSCN9454.JPG DSCN9455.JPG DSCN9479.JPG DSCN9483.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Holy cow, that is a tremendous strike for a 3CN. I don't care what you paid for it. It's worth more than 63 money.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Aw, that's a honey! Very nice!

gronnh20 likes this.
  5. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Wow, nice clash.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

gronnh20 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin.

gronnh20 likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice one!

gronnh20 likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I like it

gronnh20 likes this.
  9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes very nice 65 ,double clashed, and yes you can have multiple clashes on a coin! I believe I have a triple clashed nickel 3 cent pc. great find

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    gronnh20 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

40529182.jpg
    Here now you can better understand the clashes

gronnh20 and wmichael like this.
  11. Paddy54

Here's another view. 40529161.jpg

12. Paddy54

To answer your questions about the clashes no the clashes do not take away from a coins grade. I do collect both silver 3 cent pcs,and nickel 3 cent pcs.
    I prefer finding a nicely clashed coin. I personally think that the clashes add personally to the coin.
    As for the grade on your specimen I think it's pretty close to 63/64 ballpark. Just like a Au 58 coin that In a lot of cases eye appeal looks better than a MS coin in hand.

gronnh20 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Here's mine it is tripled clashed. downloadfile-12.jpeg

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Your coin looks like a winner at the assigned grade . . . boldly struck, intensely lustrous, no deep marks, and the color does not look unnatural.

I suspect the reason it did not attain a higher grade is what appears to me to be some light "action" on the face . . . short lines, predominantly in the vertical direction.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    gronnh20 and mynamespat like this.
  15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Great coin for the grade assigned; I love clashes on a coin, it gives you a little more to look at. Nice pickup :)

gronnh20 likes this.
  16. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Nice coin. They are terribly underpriced IMHO but if you really want to compare prices on eBay, I hope you are using results from sold auctions.

coin_analyst and gronnh20 like this.
  17. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Do NOT let that coin get away from you!!!
    The die clashes make it interesting.
    But the best part is the fully struck "III".

I'm sure you could get a "green bean" from CAC.
    And I wouldn't be surprised if it would merit a gold one.

gronnh20, Paddy54 and wxcoin like this.
  18. Dale Lassiter

Dale Lassiter Active Member

I'll take it !!!!

gronnh20 likes this.
  19. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I collect 3CN and I would love to have your coin. It is a well struck example. I have found a number of MS63's that were much nicer than examples one or two points higher. Some are weakly struck to where all of the vertical lines on the columns aren't separated. Die clashes for this series are common.

gronnh20 likes this.
  20. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I have gotten better prices at some of the more popular auction sites. I'd check the auction results at Heritage and Great Collections for comparison.

gronnh20 likes this.
  21. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I agree about "weakly struck to where all of the vertical lines on the columns aren't separated" is a rather common condition.
    When I was shopping for a nickel 3-cent for my type set I got it down to two coins.

One was an MS-66. The vertical lines were separated but I could see flatness on their tops with my naked eye.

The other was an MS-65. The vertical lines were separated but I could NOT see flatness on their tops with my naked eye. Under my loupe (9x) I could see just a touch of flatness. This is the coin I bought.

gronnh20 and wxcoin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted