1865 3CN Mint Error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ilmcoins, Nov 26, 2018.

1. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Just curious if a premium could be expected on this? I would not pay a premium but that doesnt mean others wouldn't.

20181126_142509.jpg
    20181126_142438.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I would say so. Die Clashes are pretty interesting

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Might be worth a small premium for the clash, but it's not an error.

5. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Die clashes are interesting.
    I’m pretty sure they’re very common on the 65 3CN.
    I’ve also never seen it noted on a label before.
    I’m not sure if I’d pay a premium for one; maybe 2 or 3%. If it was an extraordinarily severe clash, then I may consider a 10-15% premium.

6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Probably worth a small premium to the right collector.

7. Jaelus

I've paid a premium before for coins with severe clashes or where they were diagnostic for a die remairrage.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

o_O Ummmm.. Yes it is a Mint Error

9. Jaelus

Clashes are features on the dies so cannot be errors by definition.

10. paddyman98

The Hammer Die and the Anvil Die struck each other because there was a Blank Planchet missing between them.. That's a Mint Error!

11. paddyman98

Quote - "
    Die Clash
    PART IV. Die Errors:
    Clashed Die or Die Clash

Definition: This mishap occurs when opposing dies collide with each other when a planchet fails to be fed into the striking chamber. Most complete planchet misfeeds don’t result in clashed dies because dies normally don’t touch each other in the absence of a planchet. The dies operate with a safety margin that can be referred to as minimum die clearance or minimum die distance. These terms refer to the closest approach the dies make to each other in the absence of a planchet. In order for dies to clash, the dies must have fallen out of adjustment so that their minimum clearance is zero (or less than zero)." .... Closed quote
    http://www.error-ref.com/die_clash/

12. paddyman98

13. Jaelus

Don't get me wrong. It is definitely a die error. It is NOT, however, a coin error. Errors on coins are unique to the specific coin and are not reproducible. Clashed error dies can strike the same coins with clash marks over and over again, making it either a variety or simply a die stage marker on the coin, but the coin is not an error.

Let's say you had a pair of fresh dies and the first strike had no planchet and produced a clash. Then those dies were used to strike the entire mintage of a coin. The entire mintage of that coin does not consist entirely of error coins. That's just not how it works.

TPGs will slab them this way if you request it and pay them to do so, but they are not really errors.

Draft saved Draft deleted