1865 2C Copper Piece. To keep or not to keep?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jon Brand, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Well-Known Member

Paid a bit over 400. I like it, I think... but would like your opinions. Excuse the not so great photos. No major spots or scratches on the coin but do you like the look? The cloudy white scuffs are on the plastic. Thanks for your opinions. The only real mark is the little scratch on the left of the 2 on the reverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blissskr and CircCam like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Nice strike... not the greatest pictures as you said but it looks solid for the grade as far as I can tell. I like it.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Looks nice, shame they banged the slab up so quickly

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Looks like it has a strong strike, I imagine the luster is great as well. I hate when people put stickers on slabs that leave residue or are difficult to remove like the back of the slab though and I'd probably clean it off.

6. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Well-Known Member

I agree. Is it ok to use rubbing alcohol on the slab or will the fumes cause weird unwanted toning or damage? Luster not amazing but as looks in photos.

7. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I usually try peeling as much off with my fingernails as possible or a plastic scraper and then use a very sparing amount on a rag to spot treat any left over stickiness. Whether or not any fumes will get through I have no idea which is why I always use it in very small amounts and don't apply it directly to the slab but to a rag and than dab the spots before wiping with another rag.

Jon Brand likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Just DON'T USE ACETONE!!

Jon Brand likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin.
    What's the population on this?
    I would hold it for a few years, because I believe the market for quality coins
    will improve.

Jon Brand likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

For PCGS BN it’s a pop 78 with 9 higher.

Michael K and Jon Brand like this.
  11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice coin. Nailed strike and almost red brown I think it’s a winner

12. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

As to the question of "Keep or not to keep", it seems you have the same love for this coin as I have for a number of the coins in my collection - you like it, but not enough to commit to a lifetime relationship.

You paid $400 for it, and right now about $500 is going price on this CAC'd coin on ebay. So it seems like you'd have a good shot of making a few bucks on it, or at the very least, not lose any. So, IMO, you should sell it now, and buy something you'll enjoy having in your collection for a few years while waiting for the market for higher end coins to improve.

Draft saved Draft deleted