1865 2 cent piece

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Geod, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Geod

Geod Member

How would you grade this 1865 2 cent piece? VF or EF? SingleShot0005.jpg SingleShot0003.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You really should try to post better (with proper lighting) photos if wanting anything other than a rough estimate, but based upon what I can see you're maybe looking at what could be labeled a generic VF... maybe.

4. Geod

Geod Member

I always have trouble with photos. Are these any better. 2 pics per side to help get more detail SingleShot0007.jpg SingleShot0006.jpg SingleShot0008.jpg SingleShot0009.jpg

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Mmmm...chocolate!

Clawcoins likes this.
  6. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I think high VF is correct (35).

8. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Looking at it one more time... Its a toss-up for me between VF-35 and XF-40. There seems to be so much variation in the Lettering between grades that it is hard for me to tell! ...that's why I'm not a professional, I suppose. :)

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The reason I said 35 is while there is good detail on the obv its not crisp enough for XF. And on the reverse the worn out WE and area of the shield brings it down from XF. The leaves on both sides don't show the fine details.

10. Geod

Geod Member

Thanks for all opinions everyone.

That's a great site, thanks Dallas...

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm sorry to have to disagree with the others, but the newer photos only help to confirm my earlier suspicions. Ch VF that coin is not imo. Again based upon what I can see in the photos, I simply am not seeing anything beyond a straight VF, and even that is largely based upon what remains of WE.

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Vf fancy 5 variety

Michael K likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'd call it a 20 coin. I'd have to agree with Books, WE is just too weak for a higher grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted