1864-S Half Dime - GTG

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mojavedave, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Checking some older coins of mine, I ran across this 1864-S 1864 Half Dine-2 Obv.jpg 1864 Half Dime-2 Rev.jpg 1/2 Dime that appears to be valuable if it meets a grade F-12 or better. I am not sure if the 3rd party graders are more lenient 1864 Half Dine-2 Obv.jpg 1864 Half Dime-2 Rev.jpg when grading older coins or not, but in any case what is your best guess of grade?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Genuine XF Details . . . Damaged / Re-engraved . . . possibly cleaned as well, but they won't mention that, for lack of space on the insert.

4. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Hi ToughCoins, Thank you for your comments. I am not sure what re-engraved stands for. I know there are some marks on the obverse, but all in all what do you think the grade should be concidering these faults if it were to be put on sale.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

In other words, no grade given, as it is damaged. Someone took a knife or something to the front.

6. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

This coin should be offered as VF details with obverse damage i.e. 2 gouges on the portrait. No disrespect to "ToughCoins". It will be difficult to sell with the damage. I estimate $40 whole sale, maybe $45-50 retail.

7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Is that what re-engraved means ?

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

re-engraves means he thought someone tried to re-engrave the design of the coin to look less worn. It might just be scratches though.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have seen the term "tooled" used for ancient coins. Is that like re-engraving?

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Re-engraving involves cutting into the surface of a coin to try and restore a missing design element.

11. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Yes. I once saw a 1795 flowing hair dollar that had several lines carved into the head to imitate hair lines.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That's a shame , I love these little buggers, it's a Valentine 1 , there's no other for this date and mint. There's no 64 s in CPG however I'm seeing a MPD and maybe a repunched date . Dave pm me if you are selling .

KurtS likes this.
  13. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I would also enjoy seeing a closeup of the date area--it has potential for an RPD/MPD. :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Here ya go KurtS; 1864-S Half Dime.jpg 1864-S Half Dime.jpg 1864-S Half Dime Date.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted