1864 no L Indian Cent clashed die?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by iontyre, May 18, 2016.

1. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I was checking out my 1864 no L bronze indian to see if it might be the circular lathe lines or repunched date listed in the new Mega Red book. I noticed what appears to be a clashed die, with a jagged downward curving horn (part of a wreath perhaps?) coming out the forehead and other image remains filling in the space between the last three feathers in the headdress. I'm trying to get a good image but not having much luck. I've searched around but don't see any listing for clashed dies on the 1864, is anyone aware of any? Who would I report this to for possible verification? The coin is in at least high VF, but does need a VerdiCare bath pretty badly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Can you share a photo or two with us? That's probably the best way to start.

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Do they even list the majority of clashed die coins . If they did the Redbook would be even twice as thick as that huge puppy is now .

tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I did not stop with the redbook, I googled 1864 cent clash die and found several sites listing cent varieties but no clash die for 1864. I am going on vacation tomorrow and probably won't have time to get a picture posted, I will have to revisit this when I return.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I think that's because until "modern" times no one cared much about coins that were clashed. The dollar collectors have probably led the interest.

IMO, 1864 1C with clashed dies (often on the reverse) are scarce to very scarce at most.

7. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I don't see any clash signs on the reverse, only on the obverse.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Since they use dozens if not hundreds or thousands of dies each year, and dies clashing together is not that uncommon, and the fact that clashmarks come and go (through wear or polishing), and they don't constitute a variety, die clashes are pretty much ignored.

rzage and Insider like this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted