1864-L RPD Snow-3 Indian Head Cent - Grading Question

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Club128, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Club128

Club128 Member

Hello all. After a few years of "distraction" from the hobby, I'm picking up coin collecting again. As part of my pursuit of knowledge/experience, I'm preparing my first submission to PCGS for grading. I'll note that I don't have misguided expectations and a plan to "get rich" from grading. I've used the publication "Making the Grade" for several years and have a reasonable understanding of grading as far a wear goes. What I don't have a good handle on are the conditions that would prevent a straight grade. In that regard, I'm considering the submission of this 1864-L repunched date Snow-3 indian head cent with a fairly solid XF grade, if straight. The issue, I fear, is on the reverse - there appears to be some older abrasion marks on the high points of the right side of the coin ("E", "NT", ribbon, arrows, and wreath). Would this factor in as a deduction to a straight grade or would it be not gradable. If the latter, what condition would most likely render it not gradable (cleaning, scratches, env. damage)? Thanks, in advance, to this group of vast collective knowledge!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Club128

Club128 Member

Not sure why the pictures didn't show in the original thread. Trying again... 1864-L RPD-003 XF 1.jpg 1864-L RPD-003 XF 3.jpg

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Don't know about the type but thats definitely a RPD can we get full pictures of the obverse and reverse for grading this might be worth certification.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice coin ! Welcome by the way , :)

6. Club128

Club128 Member

Thanks, @SensibleSal66 ! It's good to be back (my last post was at least 5 years ago!). @potty dollar 1878, absolutely, see pics below. The coin looks better in-hand. The harsh blue lighting on my USB microscope doesn't do this coin justice!
    1864-L RPD-003 XF 4.jpg 1864-L RPD-003 XF 5.jpg

7. potty dollar 1878

It might not straight grade with all those spots and the damage on the rim right side obverse its very visible there also appears to be more problems on this coin or is it just me.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think it would straight grade. Cool variety.

9. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I agree- it would straight grade. A nice coin and a truly brilliant RPD

10. Club128

Club128 Member

Thanks for the feedback, all! I was 90% certain that I would submit it regardless but didn't want to make the newbie mistake of submitting an obvious issue coin. Even if it doesn't come back with a straight grade, at least I feel better given your responses. Onward in the pursuit of knowledge!

11. potty dollar 1878

Did you make sure pcgs accepts and knows this variety if you are doing attribution also?

12. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Full liberty, couple diamonds, fairly well struck. In the hands of the right CD( Coin Doctor), this cent could be spiffed up quite nicely. Qualified CD's need only apply.....I'm not one of them.....I am Dr. Doolittle when it comes to these things.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Spectacular RPD. No imagination required to see that one.

14. Club128

Club128 Member

@potty dollar 1878, great point and, yes, they accept this variety. I will be paying the few extra bucks to get the variety attribution (why not!). @White Ger. Shep. Lover - agreed, I'm sure some "preservation" would enhance the eye appeal. I resisted doing anything at this stage in my education.

15. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Nice coin and variety. I think it will straight-grade. The obverse rim issues might knock grade down a bit and the abrasion on the reverse looks like nothing more than circulation effects.

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Nice.

I have the same on [S-3] in XF.

It has been, literally, years since I looked at it.

I think it'll straight grade, as an XF.

[But, as my wife always says: you are wrong, Frank.]

Club128 likes this.
  17. Club128

Club128 Member

First of all, thanks to those of you who weighed in and gave me more confidence of a straight grade, I submitted this coin to PCGS. Just got the grades back today and the TrueView images (see below). Definitely could stand for a professional conservation but came back with a straight grade - XF45BN - and with the RPD attribution. Thanks again! 1864-L RPD_S-3_PCGS.jpg

18. potty dollar 1878

Nice,were here to help;).

Draft saved Draft deleted