1864 L Indian Head Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hiddendragon, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I am working on a set of Indian head cents to fill a Whitman folder. I only need about five more, and the cheapest of the remaining ones is the 1864 L. I'm not buying high grade cents, more economy pieces. Because of that, in the ones I look at, you can't see the L anymore. But everyone claims there are other design differences so you can still tell them apart. I have stared at the two varieties side by side for several minutes and I just can't see it with any degree of reliability. I don't want to buy a coin just taking someone's word that it's the L variety because we all know how many times things are incorrectly advertised. I know many of you are used to looking for minute differences in detail, but I'm not and I am having a lot of trouble telling them apart. Can anyone tell me specifically what parts of the coin to look at and what's different about it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The front of the bust should be more pointed rather than rounded.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

How about some pic,s :)

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

6. coop

coop Senior Member

7. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

Also, in coop's pic, notice how the bust comes down in a point. Now look at the bust in 1863 Indian Head cents - and notice how distinctly rounded it is. The bust of the 1864's come in both pointy (with L) and rounded (no L). You can occasionally find low grade 1864 'with L' sold as 'no L' on Ebay.

8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

When you talk about the bust "coming down in a point," do you mean at the bottom, or neck, area? It looks to me like the L variety has a little more space between the date and the neck point. Is that something to look for?

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The neck. Notice how the truncation of the neck is pointed on the 1864 'L' IHC and rounded on the 'No L' varieties.

No. The date was hand-punched into the dies so the location varies.

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I looked at Snow's book to see if he said anything about at what grade the "L" disappeared.
    Didn't find any such comment.
    So I looked at Breen's encyclopedia and he indicated the "L" is gone on coins in G and VG.
    So it looks like you should consider a coin graded F or better.
    Probably would cost close to $150.

Draft saved Draft deleted