1864 Indian Head- newbie...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Stefanie, May 31, 2010.

1. Stefanie

Stefanie Junior Member

Hi all! I've been a super amateur collector for a long time, and just recently decided to sort through what I have and maybe try to determine some values. The bulk of my collection is comprised of pennies. The one I am most interested in right now is my 1864 Indian head penny. It's got some corrosion on it, especially on the back. Is there a safe way to clean these coins without damaging them?
    I also have a collection of Canadian pennies that my grandfather gave me a long time ago. Anyone know where I can get some info on those?
    I'm working on pictures, so please be patient with me; I am having resolution problems.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Welcome to CT Stefanie! I can't tell you anything about your IHC except do not clean or try to clean it! Someone will be around shortly to answer questions for you.

4. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Hi Stef, does your cent seem to have a normal thickness to it, or does it look thicker than normal? There are 3 different types from 1864 is why I ask...

5. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Welcome to cointalk Stef! Best of luck collecting.
    And WOAHHH... I had no idea there were three types of '64s. Learn something new everyday. :)

6. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

Welcome, 1864 was an interesting year for the humble one cent piece, it is featured in my introduction to Indian Head Cent collecting presentation. There are two compositions, these have different thicknesses, Copper - Nickel (CN) and Bronze (BR), easy to tell the difference. The third type, at least this is what I think the posting refers to, is a bronze with the initial L. In all cases a corroded example is going to fetch a few bucks in the market. Rare varieties will bring more money.

A great coin to own, it is also the first year the one cent was legal tender, and could be used by law to pay debts, up to 10 cents!

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Stef!

Chris

8. Stefanie

Stefanie Junior Member

It isn't thick. It actually seems thinner than normal, but then it's old. And that happens. I can't tell if there's an L on it anywhere. The front's not too bad, but the back is pretty bad. So if it's on the back I will never find it. Thanks for your help and info, it's cool to learn about this stuff!

9. abe

Is the bust line pointed or round?

10. Stefanie

Stefanie Junior Member

It is rounded. And, although the coin has corrosion, the detailing on the feathers is still visible, which is cool.

11. abe

Sounds like the w/o "L" version. Can you read liberty in the headband?

12. Stefanie

Stefanie Junior Member

Faintly, without magnification. I didn't even know it was there till just now.

13. abe

Sounds like its in the Fine condition area. Could be alot better, but w/o seeing it thats just a guess...

Draft saved Draft deleted