1864 2 cent small or large motto?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gubni, Jun 6, 2013.

?

What size is the motto?

1. Small motto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Large motto

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I like bacon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gubni

gubni Active Member

This coin is worn to the point I can't tell. It might help if it wasn't the first 2 cent piece I had ever seen, lol. Does anyone here have enough experience to tell if it is small or large motto?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

Large motto. Small motto has a little branch coming from the ribbon, yours does not

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. gubni

gubni Active Member

Thanks! I figured there was another way to tell such as that.

6. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

On the right side of "we" the large motto Leaves are almost touching the ribbon, with the small motto you see a little stem before the leaves. I hope that is a little bIt more clear

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Another good identifying feature that can be used even on HEAVILY worn coin is the leaf cluster below GOD (or where GOD would be). Look at the outermost leaf in in the cluster. On the large motto the outer leaf is very small, just a sliver, and far away from the ribbon. (See the OP coin). On the small motto that leaf is large and thick, very close to the ribbon.

See this image from coinfacts. On the image they have circled the D in GOD to show that difference, but look at the outer leaf in the cluster below GOD in each image and notice the difference. That is a clear difference and in a protected area where it would probably be visible even on a Fr-2 coin.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted