1864 2 Cent small motto - dug - On the rise !!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Jun 27, 2021.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

So, I've found this Metal Detecting in early 2000's . I've just always known this was going to happen . The Prices are "off the Hook" !! 1864 Small Motto ! Replies Very Welcome . IMG_20201113_153001712_HDR.jpg
    1864 Two-Cent Piece Pricing
    To make what can be a long story quite short, the simple fact of the matter is that because 1864 was the first year in which the two-cent piece was produced, it is also one of the most expensive editions. You will pay more than $1,000 for one of these coins that has been extremely well-preserved, however even the most worn coins will still cost a few hundred dollars. The chart below will help give you a better idea of what these coins are worth, given their grade.

[​IMG]

1864 Two Cent

DATE GOOD FINE EXTREMELY FINE UNCIRCULATED
    1864 (Small Motto) $225 $400 $850 $1,000
    1864 (Large Motto) $15 $25 $50 $80
    Source: Red Book

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

That is a very nice MD find!

Scott J and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1864 Small Motto Two Cent Piece is not as scarce as you might think. I cherry-picked one from another dealer who didn't know what he had. When something is a Red Book variety, with good pictures of it in the book, I don't think that a dealer has much excuse for missing that. The coin had a full motto, with the "WE" very strong. It was an old-time VF.

The Small Motto was actually a pattern coin die that the mint decided to use for business strikes.

You can spot this coin, even when it is in very low grade. Not that the ribbon which contains "In God we trust" is closer to the rim on the Small Motto than it is on the Large Motto variety.

1864 Two Cent Sm Motto W.jpg

1864 Two Cent Lg Motto W.jpg

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice @johnmilton !! I was shocked to find mine while Metal detecting .

CoinJockey73, markr, Scott J and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted