1863 Token - Flags, Drums & Cannons

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clutchy, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Im looking at a few civil war tokens with the indian head cent obverse. The one Im interested in has the same IHC design with LIBERTY on the headband (?). It looks to have a huge die crack (die gouge) through the date, which Ive found a few other examples with the same condition. BUT, I also found tokens with LIBERTY being replaced with beads. I cant find much info on either of these tokens, other than ebay and other forums looking to sell them....

Are there varieties with beads and with LIBERTY? I do find more with LIBERTY being sold compare to the beads, for approx. the same pricing. Thanks

Clutchy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clutchy

4. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

5. Clutchy

6. Clutchy

Under Patriotic Token - Die Catalog - #81

7. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

It's a great resource. I've found it very useful.

Clutchy likes this.
  8. Clutchy

Yes, I didnt realize just how many different tokens varieties were out there. Looks like a reverse die #352A also, which was a better quality die.

9. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Are you trying to identify the dies of the token images you have posted?

If so, that token appears to be dies 79 and 351. The cannons/flag/drum die is not 352 or 352A because the one you pictured has three streamers coming off of the flag at left center of the pole with the liberty cap. Also, the obverse is not die 81 because yours has beads around circumference and Liberty on the head-dress, but die 81 has beads on both the head-dress and around the circumference.

So, the pictured token you have show is F-79/351a (a = copper). It is rated as Rarity 1 (common) with more than 5000 extant survivors.

Regards, Brandon

Clutchy likes this.
  10. Clutchy

79 doesn't have the die crack, with it extending to the outer dental, between the star and the 1 in the date, so it looks more like the 81.

And I agree with you on the 351 reverse. What was throwing me off was the stripes on the flag on the left, this token has well defined stripes, were the other 352's do not.

11. brg5658

It is most certainly not die 81 because your token has LIBERTY in the head-dress. Die 81 has beads in the head-dress. Look at the die example of 79 at the link again (click on the picture to make it larger), and you will see the same arched die crack/gouge as on yours. Yours is a later die state than the one pictured at the linked resource, but I am 99% sure your die is the 79.

Clutchy likes this.
  12. Clutchy

You are correct. I was hyperfocusing on that die crack. Thank you.

13. Clutchy

Any opinion on value? I do like the token, which really doesn't have much baring on its value, but the examples I've seen would be a lower grade, ranging from $17 to $30 or so

14. Clutchy

Tokens seem to be in a completely different realm lol I was shocked to see the amount of documented dies for these tokens.

15. brg5658

Yours look to be around AU55 or AU58 in grade. Based on recent sales of raw examples, I'd say the value was around $20. A really nice one sold raw on eBay back in December for < $40.

Clutchy likes this.
  16. Clutchy

I end up passing on the token, but instead I bought 3 others. Im quite please for my first few tokens.

Crossed Union Flags/ Star of David: R1 It has a few scratches on the date on field, but it has tons of detail, nice toning and it was priced right

Liberty Bust/Army & Navy recut date: R2 I liked it the moment I saw it.

Another Army & Navy: R1 Great toning CROSSED FLAGS STAR OF DAVID.png 1863 CWT RECUT DATE.png ARMY NAVY CWT 1.png

brg5658 and Jwt708 like this.
  17. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I Just posted this as a reply to another thread of mine...but I purchased a lot from a local seller last spring, it had the bottom token in the lot. I talked myself out of keeping it in order to make a bit of profit on it and because I "don't collect civil war tokens"....regretted selling ever since :arghh:

Very cool set of tokens you have there...good start.

Clutchy likes this.
  18. Clutchy

As you can tell by how this thread started, Im quite green to CWTs. I was also very, very close to purchasing a Straight's Elephantine Shoe Store token (the elephant is wearing shoes lol), it has beautiful toning, AU condition, but a weak strike.

phankins11 likes this.
  19. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

My son would love a token with an elephant wearing shoes. That's awesome.

Clutchy likes this.
  20. brg5658

In order, I believe you have there Fuld die pairs of:

189 (draped flags, UNION banner) / 399 (Star of David)

(capped Liberty) / 297 (Army & Navy)

(Federal Union) / 324 (Army & Navy)

I have one similar to that last one your posted (223/328 - see below), but notice this is the one with the IT MUST AND SHALL "BY" PRESERVED error. :) CWTs are addictive, so be careful! :D

[​IMG]

Clutchy and phankins11 like this.
  21. brg5658

I also have a 12/297...I couldn't find the pictures before, but here's my example (I hunted down the pics).

[​IMG]

Clutchy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted