1863 DIX Army Navy Civil War Token

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by phdunay, Jul 25, 2011.

1. phdunay

phdunay Member

[​IMG]

I got it in a roll of unsearched wheats on eBay, the picture is an example, it is in much better condition, but it has black spots all over it. What's it worth?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

4. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I can answer your question if you post some decent pics of your token to properly identify the dies used to make your token. There are 14 flag dies and 10 "DIX" dies, and many die combinations are known, not to mention the metal possibilities. Most are relatively common, but there are some scarce varieties. Kanzinger valued the common ones in fine condition at $12 in his 2002 book, the scarce issues can easily be in the thousands.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Cool find , a CWT Patriotic in a wheatie roll . Nice pick up . Don't clean it except to soak it in Mineral oil , or olive oil . Nothing harsher .

6. phdunay

phdunay Member

7. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I just paid $20 for one. I really don't know too much about Civil War tokens, so even if I got a little ripped off I consider it paying for an education. There were tokens like yours going for $40 on e-bay, but since there are many varieties I really don't know how much it's worth.

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Ah guys, gotta buy that CWT book - many of them are covered in "Early American Tokens" - essential whence diving into that vast sea of really cool and historical pieces. This particular token has a very rare variety that has "Shoot him on the spoot" and I really really want it.

9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I have had this one since the 1960's:

[​IMG]

Civil War Token
    THE FLAG OF OUR UNION / 1863
    IF ANYBODY ATTEMPTS TO TEAR IT DOWN / SHOOT HIM ON THE SPOT / DIX

:)

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This is an old thread, someone is stirring up dust. Well here's one of my CWT's. :thumb:

Attached Files:

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The Spoot token is popular, and hence a little more costly, but not really that rare.

Unfortunately I am at home now and not where my copy of Fuld is so I can't identify the particular variety of the OP coin.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

My hometown. Cool token.

13. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I think the CWT's are really interesting. I'm thinking of getting a McLellan token. He ran against Lincoln. I now realize that there are about 10 varieties, so it will take a bit of learning to determine the value.

Attached Files:

• 1051.jpg
      1051.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
    • 140.jpg
      140.jpg
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
Draft saved Draft deleted