1863 CWT - Broas Brothers Pie Bakers

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seattlite86, May 31, 2023.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

A recent purchase of mine. A touch more than I wanted to pay, but a great example of a Civil War Token and one I can let the kids handle without worry. Seller’s photos below.

Feel free to pile on with your CWTs!
    IMG_6438.jpeg IMG_6441.jpeg IMG_6439.jpeg IMG_6442.jpeg IMG_6440.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I don't have many. The wifes maiden name is Knickerbocker so has collected all of the common varieties of these:
    KnickCWT186303.jpg
    KnickCWT1C11.jpg

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Been wanting one of those for a while.

Z

IMG_3425.JPG IMG_3428.JPG

6. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

My first, and only (so far), CWT. This is an area that I could get into as there is a ton of nice stuff out there. The last NWCC show I went to, there was a dealer that had nothing but slabbed CWT's. I could have sat at his tables for hours.

Day 2 MOON coin show pick ups obv (4).jpg Day 2 MOON coin show pick ups rev (4).jpg

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

8. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Here's a sample of store cards.
    Charles Gentsch.jpg Adams & Hatch.jpg Gustavus Lindenmueller.jpg W.K. Lanphear.jpg

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I saw this thread last night at the bottom of the page and hoped to revive it. I'm glad that others did.

I had a significant side business in the CWTs when I was a dealer. I kept some of the more interesting pieces. A really great collection has about 5,000 varieties. I have nowhere near that. I have only a couple hundred or so. Here are few that grabbed my interest.

The Skidmore Hotel had a gentlemen’s smoking and billiards room. This token, with the unusual eagle with a cigar in its beak, is a souvenir of that long lost “man cave.” This is a fairly scarce token although many of the survivors are in high grade.

Skidmore All.jpg

I like the high relief aspect of this token, which was issued by a Philadelphia watch importer. He also issued a token with his portrait on it. And yes, the portrait piece I have has been improperly cleaned. I bought it when I was putting together a set of the CTWs have a portrait of the business owner on them. The late Jack Detwilder wrote an article for the "Civil War Token Journal" that was entitled "They Loved Themselves."

PA 750 -1b All.jpg PA 750-2b All.jpg

The Drovers' Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri was a place for cowboys to stay after they had driven a herd to town. I am sure that it was not "The Ritz." This one is scarace.

Drovers All.jpg

This "good for" a glass of beer CWT was issued by Fredrick Miller who started the beer company which still bears his name. The company has passed through many owner since then. Like many "good for's," This one is rare with perhaps 10 to 20 known. My theory is that the issuers destroyed them after they were redeemed. There is a much most common Fredrick Miller variety that has the same obverse.

WI 510 AB 4b All.jpg

Fayette "Yankee" Robinson was a traveling show entertainer. Like some people in a high risk business he went from very wealthy to very poor. In his last years, he was a penniless barker at the Ringling Brothers Circus. This piece was issued during his happier days. The reverse brings into focus a bit of carnival "hocus-pocus.

Yankee Robinson All.jpg

I have many more, but this is a nice group.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Those are all great tokens. Thanks members

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Timewarp

Some Patriotic Tokens.

189-399.jpg 255-390.jpg 332-336.jpg 1-391.jpg

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Here's mine from @stldanceartist , just tickles my funnybone or should I say my funnyspoot...
    civl war token back.jpg civil war token front.jpg

15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I just found photos of my really nice McClellan with a Knickerbocker obverse.
    (Fuld 255/138)

Z

IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3417.JPG

16. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Kentucky and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Never seen a Jewish Star on a CWT.
    can you tell us more about it?
    Heres a humble Monitor.
    upload_2023-6-1_22-31-3.jpeg
    upload_2023-6-1_22-31-56.jpeg
    And a rusted die?
    upload_2023-6-1_22-35-0.jpeg
    upload_2023-6-1_22-35-27.jpeg
    I miss @baseball21

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

This particular token reminds me of baseball. They used to use this saying to describe the old Washington Senators (now the Twins). They would say, "Washington, First in War, First in Peace, Last in the American League."
    :D

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think he was poofed.........

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. Timewarp

Cheech9712 and alurid like this.
  21. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I doubt that the five pointed star was intentionally Jewish. I will have to review who made that token, but I don’t recall that any of the CWT diesinkers were Jewish.

Draft saved Draft deleted