1862 signature on shoulder british penny km# 749.2

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by PaperBug, Feb 15, 2013.

1. PaperBug

PaperBug New Member

Anyone have any info? How many are out there, odds of finding one in the US, frequency of counterfeits, etc.?

Came across one when I bought a collection from the grandchild of a deceased collector. I assume it is a fake because of the obscurity. Some other collectors with some British experience looked it over and couldn't determine that it was an obvious fake. It is being shipped off to PCGS on the freaky chance that it is real. Sorry, I can't find pics. Will post pics when it comes back if it is legitimate.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nick1986

Nick1986 New Member

Old pennies are sometimes engraved with a person's initials as a love token. One of mine bears the surname Buchanan

4. LotsofCoppers

LotsofCoppers Active Member

Well good luck! That would be an incredible find! I would love to see the photos. I did a quick search and was not able to find a photo of one online. I did find this info in a discussion on another board to help explain further what you are describing-

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/26923-where-is-1862-victorion-penny-signed/

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Blacktooth in love ???
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Blacktooth is a last name... so yes, that would be a coin given to someone.

7. PaperBug

PaperBug New Member

I found that online too. Don't know how accurate that is. Krause doesn't list the mintage.

The signature is very faint. I missed it the first couple of times I looked at it. It looks like "WYON SU" rather the engraver "L.C. Wyon." It was shipped to PCGS 2 days ago... fingers crossed... probably $121 in fees and shipping down the drain.

Found a picture:

ebay picture.jpg

8. LotsofCoppers

LotsofCoppers Active Member

I see it! I would definitely have had the coin checked out too. Even if it ends up being a counterfeit it could still have value to someone as a space filler. It might be difficult to sell it since eBay has cracked down so hard on replicas - even when you disclose it clearly. But I think you would be able to find some buyers for it. It looks to be quite well done and the coin looks like a nice one.

That being said and never having seen one I know it means very little - but my gut says it is real! :smile

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:I need to look this one up I think there one down a my friend shop.
    But in a better grade or just a bad photo???

10. PaperBug

PaperBug New Member

bad photo... it didn't transfer to this forum very well and never was that good. it is a very clean coin. can't wait to get the results!

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I was thing it was photo !"!
    I have got more than few British copper+Silver. Some copper Dark brown and some turn brass light brown ,I guess mix???.

12. PaperBug

PaperBug New Member

PCGS just ranked it XF45BN! The 2009 KP book puts the value at $1750. Baddabing.... will post photos when it comes back slabbed.

13. Jess55555

Jess55555 New Member

I found a 1987 penny with a J Ron signture dated '96. How can I find out who is J Ron?

14. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

If you don't find it in Google, you'll never find out.

Draft saved Draft deleted