1862 Seated Half Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, May 22, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Today I drove up some 70 miles to a coin show in Hagerstown Maryland. It was a very pleasant drive up up to the mountains. What made it even more pleasant was some of the coins I manage to score today. I only purchased 3 a total of 10.5 cents. I got home not long ago and decided to scope out my finds. Here's the first find a very nice Au + 1862 Seated Liberty half dime. It's wonderful in hand I bet she go even more than Au. But wait.... there's some hidden surprises!!!! First of all the clashing on this dime is darn near perfect! Both sides....but there's more...... under the 2 in 1862 not far below it is a baby 2! yes and it's the same style 2 as the primary 2. I could not believe my eyes! OMG I love this coin!!!! 1862 Hafl Dime Seated Obv..jpg 1862 Half dime Seated rev..jpg 1862 half Dime Clash rev..jpg 1862 2 half dime date.jpg

dwhiz, bkozak33, loopytoad74 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Haha, weird how such small things can remind us of others.
    1862 half dimes also seem to often well struck and almost proof-like, such as yours. Nice pickup.

4. Paddy54

Oh how did I miss the 8 in the denticals below the primary . Wow!

jello likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hue can see the green on it, very beautiful (sorry, that was a poor attempt at a pun)

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

It's Nice!
    I do see something in rim denticals may be 8 ? 6 or 2 . New overdates aren't out of the question.
    Good score.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Since there's nothing on a normal coin even remotely the size of the Baby 2, where's it come from? How would it get there?

And please, everyone: D E N T I C L E S (from the Latin word for tooth).

8. non_cents

I would imagine it could be a coincidental contact mark or maybe a small die dent or something.

9. doug5353

So it's not really a "2" in the sense of the last digit of the date? Just a mark that happens to be 2-shaped?

10. Paddy54

Well explain how that mark looks and is shaped just like the 2 used in the date and has the same style type as the other twos used in the 1860's IE IHC ' S if you like I can post a 1862 IHC that has the same two.

11. Paddy54

And also explain how the 8 is in the denticles below the primary 8 in the date.
    One other tidbit the two is raised not incuse!

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Seated dimes and half dimes have many Rpd
    1862 2 half dime date-1.jpg
    If don't know what to look for I can show ya.
    die dent???? Die aren't dented pitted or broken and cracked.

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. doug5353

Yes, I agree, but the Baby Numbers are 1/5th the size of the real thing? I am searching for a plausible explanation.

Kirkuleez and Gilbert like this.
  14. Paddy54

Me too not trying to argue but it's there and talk about wow factor when I got home and scoped it.
    I purchased this because I collect half dimes it had great eye appeal and it I told you what I paid you would ask if I held a gun on the seller. I had no idea at purchase that this was on the coin. I just liked the coin in hand it looks ms.

15. non_cents

I agree with you with the repunched 8 in the denticles. That alone makes it a nice purchase. You have a great eye for these. :)

I personally don't think it looks EXACTLY like the 2 in the date. I offered a few possible scenarios (contact mark, die dent/other die damage, which would be raised because die dents are incuse). The real question is why in the world there would be a miniature 2, as there would be no real purpose for one. It seems illogical. Just IMO.

http://www.error-ref.com/die-dent/
    http://www.vamworld.com/Pitting
    http://www.error-ref.com/4880-2/

16. Paddy54

1862 IHC 2.jpg In hand under a loop the 2 in question looks just like this two on an 1862 IHC as well as the same type on the half dime

17. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

All i can say is wow! Paddy you must have the luck `o´ the irish!!!

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Very nice coin.

19. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

Stunning paddy,loopy definitely likes.very nice indeed.[emoji106]

jello likes this.
  20. Paddy54

1862 date croped.jpg 1862 2 half dime date croped.jpg 1862 US Half Dime 1.jpg I also posted this over at Coneca with some newer images

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    jello likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't understand why there would even be a punch that small.

non_cents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted