1862 Confederate 1 Cent Piece

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by carlamos, Jan 26, 2008.

1. carlamos

carlamos New Member

I have come across a coin which appears to be copper or bronze. It is dated 1862 and the obverse states "Confederate States of America." The obverse also contains a bust of Liberty. The reverse of the coin says "1 Cent." Just below the denomination is a cotton bale and two wooden barrels. The reverse also contains an ear of corn and a wheat stalk. I can't find any mint mark. The coin's diameter is slightly less than that of the modern US Quarter and slightly larger than that of the modern US Nickel. I do not have a scanner, but found an image of the coin at the following website:

http://www.rebelstatescurrency.com/page11a.html

The image is toward the bottom of the page.

Could this coin be authentic and, if so, does it have collectors' value? Thanks for any input!!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy carlamos - Welcome to the Forum !!

Post a pic of your coin, and then maybe we can offer opinions. But I will say this, I know of no CSA cents dated 1862.

4. Becky

Becky Darkslider

Welcome!!

After going to that website and reading the story of this particular "cent", I think that the odds are rather slim that you have one of them. There is the chance that you do have one, but we would really need to see a scan of your coin. It could be a copy? Get us a pic of yours and we will help.:cool:

5. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

6. ambro

ambro www.lincolncentennial.com

Copy

You have a copy. Genuine, or restrikes of the original coin are exactly the same diameter as a modern penny. The particular copy you have will measure 21 mm. Original, or restrikes of the original are dated 1861.

Even though it is a copy, enjoy it for the part it played in our Nations history.

BUT...Keep looking! The engraver and original coiner made 16 coins...and as far as we know one has been lost. Its somewhere......and worth about $150,000 :)

Attached Files:

7. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I have a coiple of those 1862 copies - they are larger than the originals, and most are marked "copy". Yours may be an older copy made before those requirements became law.

8. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Sorry friend - a link to a file on your computer doesn't work for anyone but you!

9. ed_p

ed_p New Member

1861 confederate states of america 1 cent

1861 confederate states of America 1 cent i need to know about this coin

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ed:
    Welcome, and what do you want to know?

[please don't say everything.]

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here are 3 from my collection.

http://www.rebelstatescurrency.com/bashlow.html

The one on left was made to imitate and sell at souvenir stores during the 100 year
    anniversary. The other 2, are Bashlow copper and goldine. There is an excellent book on the cent available through library loan or amazon.

Jim

[​IMG]

12. ed_p

ed_p New Member

price and some other things

13. desertgem

I have seen a wide range on ebay. Generally, the silver are usually most expensive. Overall from less than $30 to $75+. There is a slabbed 67 goldine on ebay for $185, buy it now...

says great investment for SESQUICENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES 2010-2015. I hadn't thought of that.

Have patience and you can get one for much less.

Jim

14. Shandrell

Shandrell New Member

Confederate coin question

My mom has a 1862 one cent confederate coin. It does not have a Mint mark. We have been told that if it was made if Philadelphia that it would not have a mint mark. I was wondering if this was a true coin or a fake

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

A Confederate coin could not have bee made in Philadelphia because Pennsylvania was not in the CSA. My understanding is all the 1862 coins made are modern recreations (I believe the originals were 1861). I could be wrong...but in all likelihood it is a modern fake. A picture would be helpful.

16. Shandrell

Shandrell New Member

I tried taking pictures with my camera but its not turning out like I want it to. So I'm trying to figure out a way to get pictures up of it.

17. desertgem

The 1862 dated tokens were made by the Georgia Mint ( private) for sale at various truck/tourist stops in the Civil War areas in the 1960s ( although I might be a year or couple off from that. It is not a Bashlow type. This url will give more info near the bottom.
    http://www.confederatequarter.com/cent.html

Jim

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Have you used the macro function on the camera? If you don't the pictures will come out blurry.

19. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

The book on the topic, which I would recommend, is The Lovett Cent, a Confederate Story by Harold Levi and George Corell.

20. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

If you have a scanner try using that :thumb:

21. Searching4it

Searching4it New Member

I have one too but I keep reading that these are replicas?

Draft saved Draft deleted