1861 seated libert half, found in couch

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by robertxavier, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Having it slabbed by a grading service really amounts to what you want to spend to do it...If your coin is not cleaned or otherwise 'altered', it's worth about $100.00 in the high Fine grade we all think it is from the photos, more if it certifies higher---but fees are now $30+ per coin and keep going up.

My coins are already 'slabbed' and I haven't sent any that I still have out for certification and the prices are a 'guess' for me, so you may want to check that out first..... and then look into membership options that reduce the fee ..or even wait a bit until you have several you wish to submit---they usually reduce the fee for multiple submissions.

Best of luck and keep hunting--ya never know!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

With these pictures it looks to be AU ish depending on how much of the luster is muted.
    My experiences have been that a coin may have the details of an AU grade and if it has less than 50/60% of the luster always nets down to an XF coin which are the coins I seek to find for my collection.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

yes, i forgot about that, people with dangerous habits have been known to drop things, best to be careful... the pictures i too second time around look a bit blurry, i'm taking them with my wife's ipad. gota got do some work in the basement. talk to you fellas later.

5. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

hi, well, i just sort of was matching it up on the pcgs website with their "photograde" they have for comparison, and by matching it with the pictures, i'm thinking at least a grade 30 - a grade 45ish. i can't really afford to send it to get graded, well, maybe i could, but i want to get some more coins!

6. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Used to search(cut open) old chairs/couches at a town dump in Mass. when I was a lot younger and got a bunch of old lincolns/mercs/buffalo nickles but wasn't into collecting like now and real choice pieces were dirt cheap in the shops. Am in Astoria Or. now so will try again with fingers crossed....

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

that's cool, good luck! i love finding "treasure"

Draft saved Draft deleted