1861 seated libert half, found in couch

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by robertxavier, Mar 26, 2015.

1. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

hi, my dad found this in a couch, any ideas on approximate grade and value? Thanx for any help, I would like to keep it, I am just getting into coins and need help. Rob image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Cool find, congs.
    I say xf...worth around 100 Dollars.
    Hope the coin wasn't cleaned.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

amazing find.

5. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

it doesn't look like it was cleaned at all, if it looks that way a bit, it may be the light shining down from the kitchen ceiling! it looks like it is in really nice condition, maybe it was sitting in that couch for a long time, my dad used to buy really old furniture and reupholster them and now and then would find something neat, this was one of them.. i went to pcgs , to photograde and was comparing the coin and thought maybe it was at least a 30grade, approximately... i was thinking maybe around $100.00 also, i saw several on ebay in this approximate condition and date selling for $100 - $175ish...

6. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

yes, i thought so! i was interested in coins a bit when i was little, now i'm 39, and have been collecting coin silver , and just recently becoming interested again and looking at other coins all the time online and at shops... i'm thinking maybe of using this seated liberty to start a half-dollar collection...

spirityoda likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

of seated or type ? seated get expensive. lol

8. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Wow must be an old couch.

SilverTabbyCat and swamp yankee like this.
  9. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

oh, i meant starting a half-dollar collection, the different types and years.
    i'm not sure where to start so i thought i would start with halves...

spirityoda likes this.
  10. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

yeah, i think it was probably a late victorian (around the turn of the century) couch.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

<runs out to the nearest second-hand store to search all couches>

cash4coin, spirityoda and rooman9 like this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Fantastic find and the guys seem to have the value down cold!!

Congrats!!!

By the way, do you have any other couches you're thinking of replacing???

13. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

ha, ha! i know , right? what a cool coin to find in an old couch... and, no, my dad has since retired, occasionally he'll do a piece for a friend, or redo one for my ma, but, no - probably no more coins to be found in the near future... i have it in a 2x2 holder (is that what they're called?) , would it be worth sending it out to get graded by pcgs or ngc?

14. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

yeah, i'm going to start running my hand in between the sofas down at the goodwill, i'll have my wife out on full alert also!

15. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

i'm looking at it through a magnifying loop, it doesnt appear to have been cleaned

16. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Ok, I don't think the coins looks cleaned either.
    Reverse looks original with nice toning.
    Please take a closer picture of the obverse.

17. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

okay, i'll get around to it sometime later and post better pics. talk to ya later sometime - rob

18. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

Here are a couple more pics. I'm not great at takin pictures. Is a coin like this worth having get graded? I notice a dark line to the left of libert. And if u hold it just right, I do see a few scratches on the obverse. image.jpg image.jpg

19. junkcollector

junkcollector Junior Member

Out on the country roads here People like to dump trash and old junk if I see something that looks good I stop .Anytime I find an old sofa or couch I get my friendly crowbar and smash it up to find whatever has fallen into the back, I've found numerous dollar bills and clad change as well as some jewelry but no silver coins yet

Mikey Zee likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ouch...there was something sharp in my couch...

swamp yankee and Mikey Zee like this.
  21. junkcollector

junkcollector Junior Member

I might ad be careful sticking your hands in couches this is a favorite place for junkies to stash needles that's why I let my crowbar do the work not to mention rats also like old couches

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted