1861 Seated Half Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by pjd, Jun 6, 2004.

1. pjd

pjd New Member

I have had quite a stash of old coins for at least a decade. Decided it was time to pull them out and see what they were worth.....
    I have researched some on the internet and found some somewhat valuable site. This coin seems to be of some value according to several sites I visited. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. BTW....the coin is in excellent shape!

thanks for your help in advance
    pjd

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pjd

pjd New Member

oh .... I forgot....it has Confederate States of America on the back side. I checked all the wear points....and there is no wear. I read about it being a part of a restrike???? Any help?
    pjd

4. joecoin

joecoin New Member

If it's the real deal, it's worth a lot of money. If it's not the real deal, which I can pretty much guarantee it isn't, it's worth whatever you can get for it.

Sniff, sniff.

5. pjd

pjd New Member

Working in pics.....hold tight.

pjd

6. pjd

pjd New Member

this is a test..

7. pjd

pjd New Member

Test 2 .............

Attached Files:

8. Noobgw

Noobgw New Member

is it a 1861 seated 1/2 with the CSA reverse (has a shield) or does it say C.S.A. without a shield (Scott reverse)?

and yes the 1861 with the confederate or scott reverse are restrikes unless you have one of 4 origional coins that were hand pressed.

the other coins with the confederate reverse were the 1861-O coins that had the reverse smoothed off then restruck with the confederate reverse.

the 2004 red book gives a population of 500 minted of each of the confederate and the scoot reverse.

9. pjd

pjd New Member

I couldn't get a good pic of the front side with the date. (using digital...) It seems to be in really good shape for such an old coin.....

Is it real??

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The odds of it even being one of the restrikes are about a zillion to one. The pic is too blury to be able to tell.

11. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Just a suggestion: You can greatly improve the visibility of the coin in your picture if you crop all the unnecessary background out before uploading.

12. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Well I can tell you that your coin is a copy. It has copy written above the top cotten stalk on the left of the reverse. Value for the copy is $1.25

The original Confederate half dollars featured the reverse with the Confederate shield. The obverse was the standard seated liberty. The Scott restrikes used the same reverse but the obverse was a written statement by Scott.

I will attach a photo of the copy.

Attached Files:

13. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

ND, how about the one you recently had for your avatar? Was that a genuine one, and do you own it?

14. Noobgw

Noobgw New Member

in the pic you posted ND i can clearly read the word copy but in the origional pic i could not see that i thought something was different becuase from the origional pic the leaves on the stalk on the right were different they did not have the came angles as other pics i have of teh reverse.

15. National dealer

If you look at the person's pic above the cotton stalk on the left you can see a faint light mark. That is exactly where the word copy is placed.

rbm86,

The avatar I used is a copy.

16. GDJMSP

Boy you sure got better eyes than me Nd if you could make that out ! I better get some new glasses :eek:

17. pjd

pjd New Member

Ahhh...thanks for the help....after further observation....and a magnifying glass, I can see the word copy too. Oh well.....guess it was too good to be true huh? I am still trying to sort thru them all. I have run across large cents, 2 cents, 3 cents, all sorts of halves and dollars etc. and alot of very old foreign money. I sent an email to a company that says they will appraise the value of all the coins for free.....is that too good to be true too? Any help here at all would be appreciated.

pjd

18. National dealer

Free apprasials?

I know most dealers will do this if they are allowed the opportunity to purchase some or all of the coins.

19. pjd

pjd New Member

The Heritage Company....does that ring a bell? Are they a reputable coin establishment?

pjd

20. GDJMSP

Yes - Heritage is very reputable. But there is a bit more to it than your message would seem to imply. First of all you pay for shipping and insurance of your collection to Texas. And there is a minimum value requirement - $10,000 I think before they will do this. if your collection is fairly valued at $100,000 - they will come to you. Then if you have something they want - they will make an offer to buy. But if you do not agree to sell - or they do not want what you have - then you pay a fee. And you of course also pay for the shipping and insurance back to you.

Now the last time I dealt with Heritage - these were the conditions. It is possible things have changed since then as it was several years ago.

21. National dealer

Heritage is still using the same formula. That is pretty standard in the industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted