1861 Confederate Half Dollar ... Is this one fake?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jonnythecoin, Sep 3, 2011.

1. jonnythecoin

jonnythecoin New Member

I don't know much about this stuff but I just took a photo of this coin. Is this worth anything at all? Thank you so much! halfdol.jpg

A a larger version of this image is found here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14337325/halfdol.png

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Chris Winkler and capthank like this.
  4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

An original was struck on a Seated Liberty Half with the reverse milled off and re-struck with the confederate reverse . So Yes this is a replica

Chris Winkler likes this.
  5. jonnythecoin

jonnythecoin New Member

Sniffle... ok. ;( Thanks for your help! Taking a short walk to the trash can...

Stevearino and Chris Winkler like this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The originals were struck on a planchet using a US obv die and the Confederate reverse die. The Scot restrikes were struck on 1861-O halves with the reverse shaved off using a soft brass plate to cushion the obv and the Confederate reverse die to strike the now blank reverse. You are right though that this is a modern souvenir.

Tamaracian, capthank and johnmilton like this.
  7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction, I had them confused it was the Scott restrike that I thought were made from the blank planchets.Stand corrected now just have to remember it.

8. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I think it is an awesome souvenir. If you do not want it, please offer it to someone on the forum! I'd bet someone would love it.

9. therandyp

therandyp New Member

So, what would a replica coin be worth if anything?...Thanks!

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hello and welcome to CT.... Often these old threads don’t attract much attention but I’ll try to help answer your question..... In recent years, replica coins have become a scorn to numismatists. There has been an enormous influx of replicas designed to fool the casual collector into thinking they are genuine. As a result, most collectors shun all replicas. And it is too bad. There have been legitimate replicas of rare historical pieces over the years that are helpful in an educational sense. They were often sold at museum gift shops and the like. But of late, all coin replicas are viewed negatively..... So I think the only real answer to your question is the value is what another person is willing to pay really.

ldhair and petronius like this.
  11. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

I don't really get calling those replicas. I always thought replicas were not intended to fool people otherwise it was a fake. sorry if it a silly question just want to make sure my terms are right. But I get Fakes detracting from Replicas

12. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, I see the word copy stamped into ( right photo ) at about the 8 oclock position. I think the P and Y took a hit.

13. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Last time I was in South Carolina I bought a replica of a $5 sovereign coin from a gift shop. I did it because I have a great grandfather who had kept the real thing after the Civil War. He had been the bodyguard for Jefferson Davis at the end who paid them out of what was left of the Confederate treasure. I wish he'd passed it down! I'd love to have it.

Lueds and Chris Winkler like this.
  14. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

welcome to CT Johnny. don't throw the replica away. use it for future reference. don't look at this as a bad thing, chalk it up as a learning exp. i promise you that just about everyone, including myself have bought or maybe was given a fake or replica coin of some kind. there are so many out in the world these days and the counterfeiters are getting better and better everyday. i found this site, maybe it can help you learn more about your coin. good luck

https://varietyerrors.com/coin-guides/1861-us-confederate-half-dollar-know/

15. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

This replica people are describing is sometimes marked copy and sometimes not. The originals and the restrikes were both silver. Originals on silver blank planchets and restrikes on shaved 1861-o seated halfs. The story I remember is that there were six originals made as samples to get permission to mint them. The six people who got them are known and five of them have been tracked down. Only one is missing. If you place your replica on top of a silver half dollar yours will be both smaller and less thick. These replicas showed up in 1961 when we celebrated the civil war centennial. They continue to be made and sold as souvenirs. Over the years hundreds of thousands of them have been made and sold. As you can see people who do not have it want it. You could sell on the forums here or on ebay. Hope this helps you.

Draft saved Draft deleted