1860 seated liberty

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ksanderson, Jul 30, 2020.

1. ksanderson

ksanderson Member

I was just given an 1860 seated liberty from the new Orleans mint. Was wondering if someone could give me an estimate on value. Its in really good shape, I've attached pics. I appreciate it guys 20200730_160043.jpg 20200730_160055.jpg

paddyman98 and Peter T Davis like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's genuine?

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I do love the seated ladies. The 1860-O is not an especially rare strike. Prior to the war New Orleans banged out quite a number of seated halves. I am looking on my phone and it does appear genuine. And retains a lot of detail too. Counterfeiters tend to leave detail out of the denticles..... The only pause I have with This half is the color. I think this half was probably toned and a previous owner dipped it and didn’t do the dip correctly. I can’t tell looking through the plastic holder on my phone. Is there any luster remaining?

5. ksanderson

ksanderson Member

Yes the person who gave it to me got it from a coin store

6. ksanderson

ksanderson Member

20200730_190304.jpg 20200730_190304.jpg 20200730_190255.jpg

7. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

I'd guess between 600-800 retail?

8. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Looks genuine to me.

9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'll opine in the $500 range. Lots of meat on it, yet it is "off color." I agree with Randy that it appears to have had heavy toning and someone dipped it.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

The 1860-O is the most common of the Liberty Seated dollars but having said that, all Liberty Seated dollars are scarce/rare. This coin looks about EF-40 or 45 but it has been cleaned and has relatively unattractive eye appeal.

For valuation, for an attractive cleaned coin I usually discount the value by about 50% unless the coin is unusually common which would increase the discount or unusually scarce/desireable which would tend to decrease the discount. An unattractive cleaned coin gets a bigger discount. I think 40% to 60% decrease is about right for this coin.

Greysheet wholesale bid for the '60-O in EF-45 is $545. So, I'd value this coin at about $250 to $350. Having said this, pricing details coins is a very difficult area since there are no price guides for details coins. Perhaps the best way to try to get a handle on it is to review auction records from Heritage and Great Collections for details coins. But in the end, valuing and selling details coins is problematic which is why the traditional advice is to not buy them.

11. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Last week, this one cost me $380 landed:

B17C5F75-506D-4DCD-8A32-A5C19B3F36FF.jpeg
    446B93D6-2963-402B-81E9-1A5A196EB36C.jpeg

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I agree with Publius, it has been cleaned and has an unattractive mottled look .
    His pricing approach makes sense to me, too. This is not a difficult coin to find and collectors looking for one for type or O mint have a lot to choose from.

13. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

It's not a coin many collectors would want, due to a bad cleaning. Probably in the $200-$300 range, if you could find a buyer. And that might be difficult.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

***** You can not put B/S/T offers in general forums****

Please read the rules to avoid the warning points.

15. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I wonder if this would grade QC or cleaned? Or both?

16. ksanderson

ksanderson Member

I didnt I simply said I would sale it not posting it for sale. It was just a statement

Draft saved Draft deleted