1859-S Seated Dollar Found in Coinstar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I was at the grocery store today to fetch some ingredients for dinner tonight, paid, and was on my way out when I decided to check the Coinstar reject tray to see if any potential treasures had been left behind. My luck there so far has been just two silver dimes over every time I’ve checked.

I noticed something inside this time that was not only silver, but huge! I thought it could have been a half dollar or even a Morgan or Peace dollar. I took it out and made out the outlines of a heavily worn Seated Dollar! I was in disbelief. What are the odds???

The 1859-S Seated Dollar has a mintage of just 20,000 pieces. In fact, all San Francisco mint pieces together add to less than 30,000. The vast majority of the mintage was exported to China - who knows what kind of journey this piece went on? What a find!

1859sdollar_obv.png
    1859sdollar_rev.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

And then I noticed the date. Not on the coin, but the calendar. ;)

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Haha good one;);)happy April first,nice Seated dollar otherwise.

MIGuy, Mr.Q and furham like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Had me going for a few seconds, though!

MIGuy, Mr.Q and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

so did I,although it actually is possible for someone to put it around or in the reject tray after realizing it's not possible,hey I've seen some people find gold in them before.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I found a thirty dollar gold coin in a Star Coin 75 years ago. Being an honest young boy, I returned it. I also sold a five acre beach front property in Boise for 3 million, no, 5 million dollars. The truth doesn't hurt does it?

MIGuy likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

People HAVE found small gold. I’ve seen at least two credible accounts of that.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  10. Omegaraptor

I’ve heard of an Indian quarter eagle being found (by someone on this forum) and I believe a Tsar Nicholas 5 Rubles. I think I’ve heard of a small Ottoman gold coin and a gold ring being found as well.

11. Omegaraptor

Anyway now that it’s April 2nd. I might as well tell you how I actually got this coin.

The auction erroneously listed this coin as an 1859-S half dollar. Noticed very early on and watched the auction. Placed a $100 or so bid last second. Only one other bidder at the end of the auction and they were very conservative. I ended up getting this coin for less than $40 including shipping.

So yes, good deals still exist on Ebay.

12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You got me. 1 day late, but you got me.

13. lordmarcovan

And I’ve seen pics of a 1/10 ounce gold eagle someone found.

14. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Wild!

15. Player11

Player11 Bullish

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Very good deal. Right place at the right time. Well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted