1859 Canadian Cent

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Tlberg, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

20191203_101434-1.jpg 20191203_103353-1.jpg
    Researching this for a friend. I thought it was cool :)

spirityoda and Devyn5150 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Well-Known Member

“Researching this for a friend.” eh!? No shame in collecting Canadian, you can speak plainly, “they” won’t kick you outta the club for some Canucker Coin, lol.

Looks like a low 9 variety. I haven’t myself researched this coin yet either, until just now. Looks like some killer pricing on them though! coinsandcanada.com

buckeye73, Tlberg and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I love this design and they are gorgeous in mint state condition.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Since the last digit in the date was hand-punched into each working die, the 9's are all over the place, including many that are doubled with good offsets. There really isn't any 1859 variety that can actually be called a "low 9", even though CaC and Trends lists one, really by mistake. There is kinda low, somewhat low, low, very low, very low, etc etc. Since there is no "standard" low 9, it will just go into the 200+ different reverse dies that were used to make the 10 million coins. You will find many of the dates with the 9 canted and different spacing between the 9 & the 5. The 1859's are a full-time job to collect. I have over 1000 of the '59's myself with almost ALL of the known varieties. Any 1859 in MS-62 or higher will bring in big bucks, especially if it a known, published recognized variety. The CaC varieties that are listed on the site for "varieties" are anomalies that any member can submit, with whatever name that they want. I don't think that ICCS will even certify any more "low 9's", the same as they won't the 1896 far 6, because there are so many different working dies that can fit the "description" ... you have high, low, near, far, canted and any combination of them. Check out the Haxby site of the 1859's and you will get a real eye-opener.

7. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

LoL @Devyn5150 if it Were mine I would be proud. My best Canadian so far is a Centennial Cent :grumpy:
    Thanks for the help everyone :D

Devyn5150 likes this.
  8. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

There is a very useful book on Canadian and Colonial Decimal Coing Grading by James E. Charlton (yes, that one) and Robert C. Willey. After looking at your coin several times and then referring to the book and its diagrams I would say you have a coin that would grade Fine to Very Fine. A professional grader or coin dealer familiar with Canadian coins could provide a more accurate grade. I am an amateur collector.

Tlberg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted