1859 Canada Large Cent - Doubled D in Canada

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Matthew Kruse, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I just recently became interested in collecting the different errors/varieties of the 1859 Canada large cent. I am swapping for some on Numista, and the owner sent these photos. I am swapping for the coins regardless of if they are actually an error/variety or not and they are in pretty terrible shape so it wont matter much anyways. There is actually a hole in this coin. :vomit:

But anyways... Does it look like the the D in "CANADA" below Victoria is doubled? I will take a closer look for myself once I receive the coin but it certainly looks like it. On the coinsandcanada website, its not listed as an error/variety except for the errors/varieties from the community section but that example looks different: https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=1-cent-1859#erreur-31

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=1-cent-1859

upload_2021-7-23_8-14-57.jpeg
    canada large cents swap.jpg

AidenAlexander and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Don't do anything about 1859's on CoinsandCanada. The information on there is questionable at best. If you are going to be delving into '59's, you have to use this site:
    https://www.vickycents.com/

Once on there, go yo "ID my coin" and then onto Obverse markers and click on the "D". You will see the many obverse dies that had the "D" repunched. Then you can go further on the site to narrow down what you have by the Reverse markers, as well as die cracks on both side. It will finally tell you exactly which die marriage that you have from the over 200 marriages that there are. Welcome to the Vicky club. Until 2 years ago, I had nearly 1000 1859's and almost every variety.

GH#75, tibor, John Conduitt and 2 others like this.
  4. Matthew Kruse

Thank you, that is some great information. I will take a look at it now. Do you still collect the 1859's? What happened?

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I don't collect old Canadian issues but thank you for sharing such great info to one of our YN's

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  6. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I collected 1859's and their varieties for well over 30 years and all other Vicky LC's. I've lost the thrill of the hunt, but I help collectors with any information that they need. There were 4-5 of us who wrote the first Vicky Large Cent variety section for Charlton, back for the 2011 edition. It was the first variety section by collectors rather than dealers or sellers. We were able to get the DP #'s 3-5, the 9/6 and many other Vicky varieties put into the front of Charlton, as well as covered in Trends.

7. Matthew Kruse

That's very interesting. What do you collect now that you moved on from 1859 cents? I am a big fan of Canadian coins. Large and small cents, silver dimes, silver quarters, etc. Beautiful designs.

expat likes this.
  8. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I collect nothing any more .. actually ridding myself of many coins and antiques. Too old now to start something new.

David Betts and Matthew Kruse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted