1859 1C PR Genuine Corrosion removed-XF Detail Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shag, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Shag

Shag Member

1859_1c_o2.jpg 1859_1c_r1.jpg 1859_1c_o1.jpg 1859_1c_r2.jpg

I read on PCGS Coin Facts that only 800 of these were originally struck.

Is this a rare coin?

JPeace$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

800 is Proof mintage. Regular mintage was 36,400,000. I don't have any recent values.

4. Shag

Shag Member

I am excited if it is correct that only 800 proofs were struck and I have one even though it may not be valuable.

I had no idea this was a proof coin when I submitted it for grading.

Thank you very much for your comment.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

6. Shag

Shag Member

I sincerely apologize if I have done something to offend anyone, that is not who I am. I just got excited when I found out that only 800 of these coins were struck.

I am very new at this and the last thing I want to do is offend someone.

Coin talk has helped me more than you will ever know. I am not in this for the money I am just trying to help a friend.

Again I sincerely apologize if I did wrong.

Silverhouse likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If only 800 proofs were struck (less survived?) this has to be a valuable coin even with the details grade.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not as pricey as you would think. Early proofs don't get a lot of love, a lot of people would consider them undervalued.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I like it. I'd be excited as well.

10. Shag

Shag Member

Thank you very much for the comments.

I again apologize if I have offended anyone. I appreciate coin talk very much because I can use all the help I can get when it comes to coins.

I did post this in another forum "Whats it worth" because I couldn't find any values for the coin in this condition or elsewhere in any of the price guides.

Then I just got excited when I read the info that only 800 were struck and I posted in the "coin chat forum" to find out more about the coin.

Thank you very much.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A PCGS CAC Proof 64 sold for $1500+ this year.

I'd guess (and it is purely a guess), that you could get $300 for it if you waited for a buyer.

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I would venture to guess that the history of this particular coin would make an interesting story.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You offended no one and no apology is necessary. All too often we have folks who, after hearing responses they don't like, will simply try again hoping someone will tell them what they want to hear. No harm, no foul.

Shag likes this.
  14. Shag

Shag Member

I am a retired senior citizen, I have never been into coin collecting or even paid attention to coins in my life until now. But one thing I have come to realize is that you can become very attached to coins.

I just got into coins from trying to help a friend with an inherited coin collection, a small collection and I am amazed about the whole coin world. So much history, so much to learn.

Yes taken several hard lumps sending coins in for grading etc.

Just wished I would have found this site much earlier.

Thank everyone so much for their help.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Even for an XF details, the value should have a high premium to equally graded examples, of the same era.

Shag likes this.
  16. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Numismedia puts a PR60 at $620. I agree with @C-B-D 's guess of $300, but it wouldn't surprise me to get close to $500 from this on ebay due to the relative difficulty in finding one, and hey, it's ebay.

17. Shag

Shag Member

What would you suggest I do with this coin? Chance re-grading it, etc.

18. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I would not re-submit. It will always be an XF details coin, and I prefer the sound of "Corrosion Removed" over "Improperly Cleaned" or "Altered Surfaces".

Pickin and Grinin, C-B-D and Shag like this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I agree. That’s one of the better details reasons to have on a label

20. Shag

Shag Member

I am going to see if I can talk my friend into just keeping this coin. Still very excited about a 159 year old coin that only 800 was struck.

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree with not getting it regraded. Also something to keep.
    Detail and grade lowers it's price. But even $300+ is very good.
    If this coin is undervalued, then the future's so bright
    I gotta wear shades.

Draft saved Draft deleted