1858 Half Dime: EF, AU? MS? weak strike? (or just cain't tell from those pictures) ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, May 3, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Trying to learn as much as anything.

I've posted this one before, but it continues to intrigue me...

In-hand, the coin appears as-struck, with nice reflective surfaces and luster, and no (apparent) marks.

It is also a devil to take decent pictures of.

These are the about the best my camera (and my unsteady hand) will take.

Based on these, which of the above grades seems right to you?

1858 inverted date half dime OBV1N good picture - 1.jpg 1858 inverted date half dime REV2N good picture - bit larger - 1.jpg

buckeye73, Mainebill and Moekeever like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It does appear to be weakly struck, though I couldn't say why.

I think it's a solid AU.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The coin is Au and also the 1858 inverted date variety. There are several years 56 through 58 where you'll find soft strikes.....mushy as I call them...notice the denticles and rims...some areas well defined others mushy ,flat,and run together look. Misaligned somewhat as the rim goes from thin to thicker and teeth of the denticles all different sizes and shapes.
    Without the luster ,the wear or rubs on the high spots would keep it in the Au range.
    Still a very nice half dime specimen and variety.

It almost looks to me as the pressure durring the strike wasn't equal......making some details look flatten ,and square like as other areas look fine. As a h 10 collector this effect is quite prevalent in 56,57 and 1858 half dimes.

5. lordmarcovan

There is an opinion I would respect when it comes to half dimes. You might say they are @Paddy54's affliction. ;)

6. lordmarcovan

Oh- and how neat that it's the inverted date. That detail had escaped my notice, but now that it has been pointed out, I can see that as clear as day.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

The coins value with the variety in Au is $350/375.USD. RPD 002

There's another RPD for the date the 001 v-10 Breen 3090 1858/1858 also valued at $350. in Au.

The two varieties above still eludes me....even though 3,500,000 coins minted and very easy date to aquire.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I agree, it appears to be a very nice and lustrous AU coin. Certainly a good candidate for your next submission :p J/K

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Looks to me light a poorly struck coin with only the barest traces of wear . . . technically an AU58, but I think the TPGs would call it 55.

Paddy54 and chascat like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

55-58 was what i was thinking, too.

11. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Is that a faint die crack on the reverse at STATES OF, which is indicative of a late die state? If so, that would be consistent with the soft/mushy details, at least on the reverse. I have not yet researched the sequence of the obverse die to opine on the die state. That will follow if I find time today. (Derby weekend with out of time guests). I am at AU 55.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. Pondering_Infinity

Pondering_Infinity Active Member

I was wondering the same.... is it the light or is it the coin?

13. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Looks like a late die state and a clashed die variety of the RPD variety. Great coin find. How many were struck before the die cracked into oblivion never to produce any more? Wish the RPD transferred in the clash.

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The photos give me the impression that the coin has been cleaned. It appears to have AU surfaces, but it's got that "white look" to it that is not natural. It might be the angle of photo and a different story when you see the coin in hand. Having said that, a lot of 1858 half dimes are weakly struck from "tired dies.'

Here are a couple of NGC graded coins you can use for a comparison.

NGC graded this 1854 MS-62. It has obviously been dipped because of the color, but has mint sharpness and luster.

1854HalfDimeO.JPG 1854HalfDimeR.JPG

This 1856 is toned. NCG graded it MS-64.

1856 H D O.jpg 1856 H D R.jpg

This 1860 is PCGS graded MS-64. This is a really nice example for the grade in every respect.

1860 Half Dime O.jpg 1860 Half Dime R.jpg

An AU should show some luster that is similar to these coins. If it is just white and pastey in appearance, it's probably been cleaned.

Mainebill likes this.
  15. Paddy54

There's no question that this specimen has been dipped.....and most are...if you look at them carefully...this little gems toned very well in the high sulfer paper of early albums.
    Many are or were dipped at one time very seldom do I get a raw coin graded.
    As 9 out of 10 will come back details. cleaned or whizzed ,and will also admit the retoning doesn't always have a plus side.

16. Paddy54

1845 H-10 -002 obv..jpg 1845 h-10-002 rev..jpg This is a 62 old album tone effects.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Paddy54

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I personally just looking at the surfaces although the damage was uncovered. I was thinking an Au 50 to 55 just my opinion and not a .Coin i have ever studied. It looks as if the surfaces have been disturbed.

19. Paddy54

I believe it is a 55 and will say I have no issues with it in or apart of my collection.I have stated before one can set goals say a set in Xf. But reality is you take what you can find.
    As you learn quickly you just don't find them and when you do they are common dates.
    If you ask a dealer of US coins when was the last time they got an half dime in their inventory. Most who do have stock it only common dates.
    I make it a habit to it any O mint marks I can afford in good and better condition...as I would S mm if not for their low mintages.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think Eduard's coin is a very late die state and on the reverse I count at least 5 die cracks, I think the die was crumbling and that accounts for at least some of the missing details.

Mainebill likes this.
  21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

+1. Very worn dies. The strike isn’t actually that bad but those dies had lost most of their definition. I’d call it au 55 as I do see high point wear

Draft saved Draft deleted