1857 gold dollar/1924D quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kent h, Mar 10, 2015.

1. kent h

kent h New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi, fairly new to coins. Received my grandpas collection and I am evaluating what he had. There is a lot of varying information about coin value out there related to condition. Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than me can offer their opinions. First is about a 1924 d quarter. It looks in great shape to me. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kent h

kent h New Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    I also had questions about this 1857 gold dollar it does look correct to me as a type 3. It seems in excellent shape also. Thanks.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We'd need to see clearer photos of both coins, but the quarter looks like it has been polished. Whenever a coin has been improperly cleaned or polished, it's value is, for the most part, reduced to melt value.

Chris

NOS likes this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

"Whenever a coin has been improperly cleaned or polished, it's value is, for the most part, reduced to melt value..." Ridiculous.

Maybe for common coins, not for rare ones like a 1924-D SLQ probably in the top 10% to 20% of all known remaining examples, polished or not... It WILL bring a substantial premium over melt.

Uncleaned coin, comparable, in the $150-175 range.
    OP's coin, melt, $2.83 ???????????

OP, post your images RIGHT SIDE UP, please!

PTrain22 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

There is nothing ridiculous about my statement at all. What part of "We'd need to see clearer photos of both coins....." don't you understand?

Chris

7. doug5353

Your first sentence, "Whenever a coin has been improperly cleaned or polished, it's value is, for the most part, reduced to melt value...," which has nothing to do with better images, remains ridiculous.

8. kent h

kent h New Member

I cannot 100% say it has not been cleaned or polished although if it has been it must have been years ago. It has been in the current sleeve in a tupperware since sometime in the earlier 90's. I know no one wants to believe they have a potentially altered coin and their are many con artists out there. The quarter does look pretty shiny so I guess it is possible. He was an avid collector so I hope he would have known what to look for and as for the rest of his coins they have been accurately labeled. If it were not polished could it even look that clean naturally? Sorry about the photo quality I will try for some better ones. Thanks for all input/opinions.

9. kent h

kent h New Member

10. doug5353

The way to settle this is to find (say) 6 silver coins sold ($100+) on eBay where the words cleaned or improperly cleaned appear on the slab, then compare them to "sold" prices for normal coins of the same date and grade.

I sincerely doubt that any of the cleaned coins sold anywhere near melt.

======
    edit / great new photos, huge improvement, thanks!

11. kent h

kent h New Member

These photos are a little better. I cannot get a clear picture of the gold coin without glare. Grateful for any thoughts. Also if pics are not clear enough any opinion on what the type 3 coin could be worth or the quarter could potentially be worth.

12. cpm9ball

Go back to school and take Reading Comprehension.

Chris

13. doug5353

As I have written several times in the past, you can get a more or less free appraisal on eBay, some time when you notice listings fees are half-price for a weekend, etc.

List the 1924-D with a HIDDEN Reserve of $1000. It won't sell. If it does, by chance, you tap dance all the way to the bank. But where the bids top out, that's the approximate market value for YOUR coin. Very easy, at minimal expense.

You, of course, post spectacular images of the coin, and make it clear that it has been cleaned and/or polished; include all negatives about the coin, or it's a waste of your time.

14. doug5353

Chris, you tell ME how having the coin slabbed changes its value. It IS what it IS, and you are grasping at straws, knowing full well that such a coin will NOT sell at melt or anywhere close to melt. The bottom line is, you gave a relative newbie bad information, even misleading information. Your statement is there, front and center, for EVERY CT-er to read.

15. cpm9ball

Thanks for posting the second set of photos. After viewing them, I have changed my mind. The quarter does not look like it was polished. I'll defer to others.

Chris

16. kent h

kent h New Member

Thank you, impossible for people to give accurate information without accurate photos/info.

17. cpm9ball

I never said anything about slabs. Are you taking any medication?

Chris

18. doug5353

My final word on the subject.

IF, this 1924-D SLQ was polished, whizzed, juiced, dazzled, whatever,
    would YOU sell it for melt? FOUR times melt? TEN times? TWENTY times?

Melt = $2.85
    4X Melt = $11.40
    10X Melt = $28.50
    20X Melt = $57.00

I didn't think so. Case closed. No further comment on my part.

===========
    I mentioned slabs because that's how you get a level playing field for price comparison using the eBay system for price discovery. If you try to compare raw coins for price levels, and varying opinions for cleaning and/or polishing, you'll have endless arguments. Just a level playing field, that's all.

Want to sell me a 1924-D like the OP's for 20X melt??? I'll take TEN.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted