1857 Dollar Coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Elitesmg, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

1857 Dollar Coin/1942 Dime

Recently found these (1857 Dollar Coin/1942 Dime/1930 Nickel/11 Half Dollars 1964-1976/1953 Series B 2 Dollar Bill/U.S. Constitution Coin 1987) in my closet, any worth?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Hello and welcome to Cointalk! Those are some very cool coins you found there. The 1857 $1 is a gold piece and in circulated condition probably worth around $150~ give or take. The dime is a popular year for 42/41 over date errors but looks like you have a regular one, probably worth $1-2.

4. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

Thanks for the quick response, and for the welcome! I updated the post with a few more items.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 1857 Gold Dollar (if that is indeed the date) is not genuine. Gold Dollars struck in 1857 were Type 3 which has the legend 'UNITED STATES OF AMERICA' (not stars) encircling a Large Head Indian Princess on the obverse and an entirely different reverse. Your "coin" (if it is a coin) is more of the style of the Type 1 Gold Dollars minted 1849-1854. Please check the date as I cannot make it out in your photo.

6. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

It's definitely 1857. I remember receiving it from my grandmother, she told me her mother gave it to her when she was a kid and she kept it.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Sorry but it is fake.

8. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

Mmkay :)

Anyone have any info on the other items?

P.S.

You'd think that if it were a fake they'd at least make it a Type III and add a mint mark.

9. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

My apologies for this post, browser errors.

10. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Yup its a fake, type III was in 1856-1889 and had what looks like a indian head with large "standup hair" in my words. The one you have appears to be a replica/fake of a type I model minted in 1849-1854 and while as the front seems correct, the 1857 year model type III didnt have any stars it just had united states, and a different face.

11. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

I can make out the 1964 halves, they are 90% silver. Buffalo nickel a dollar if your lucky. I had to look up the gold dollar because I don't know squat about gold. Hobo hit the nail on the head with it being fake...

12. chip

chip Novice collector

The 1964 half dollars are worth at least 6 dollars for melt value, The Bicentennial halves are worth about 50 cents each, unless they have an s mint, then it is a chance they are silver also. I cannot tell from the photos but half dollars from 1965 to 1970 are also partially silver and usually sell for about 2 and a half dollars each, if you take them to a dealer he will probably give a little less than that, if you find a collector he might give you the melt value or close.

13. chip

chip Novice collector

Thje mercury dime should be about a buck and a half or so.

14. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

And to me the date looks like 1857, but the 57 just doesnt look right.

15. chip

chip Novice collector

I think the constitution coin might be a quarter ounce of gold, worth about 1/4 of an ounce of gold checking the daily gold price,

16. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

Aye, the coin looks a bit odd in a way. I don't get why anyone would make a fake coin and make such a mistake like that :I

The Constitution Coin is actually silver. But they sell the set of the silver and gold coin for about $450, so I don't know what to deduce that to. Only two of the Half Dollars are Bicentennials as well.

17. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

1/4 a oz is around 350 dollars.

18. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

Of Gold, right?

19. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

20. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

Well, like I said, that Constitution Coin is silver, not gold.

21. Elitesmg

Elitesmg Junior Member

Does anyone have any idea if I could easily sell these coins? I've got to pay some rent and am lacking anything but change :p

Draft saved Draft deleted