1857 and 1858 Flying Eagle help. Are they real, fake, cleaned, worth it? Thanks for the help!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coryjames79, Apr 6, 2024.

1. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Hello everyone, new memeber here. Was wondering if you all could help with these coins? Do you think I'm safe buying these oe should buy? Would like opinions on them. Real? Cleaned? Fake case? I was thinking of purchasing but I am super wary of buying online but there are no in person places anywhere around me any more so I have to go online. Anyway, its 1857 and 1858 flying eagle penny. One ngc and one pcgs. It just seems like I've seen so many coins that seemed cleaned, even tho the cases don't state they were cleaned. Almost like they've been taken out clean and put back in? Idk. Would appreciate help and if their worth pursuing? Thanks in advance for the help.

1858 First 2 pics are taken from ngc app, next 3 are from seller listing.

1857 first 2 pic pcgs app. They don't have pics on this on the app though. Next 3 of actual coin posted in sellers listing.

1858 - Asking price is $40 more than ngc price guide value.

1857 - asking is on par with pcgs guide value.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I'l start with that 57 in 45 is beautiful and under graded in my book. AU53, Au55 maybe I paid 150 for my 57 in xf40 and if that's currant ngc list (180ish). I would snag that puppy quick beautiful coin at a great price

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I wouldn't worry about the coins being cleaned. Those holders are rock solid. The only way you would get them out is to smash the holder. I would surmise it almost impossible to remove a coin from a holder, clean it and place it back into the holder.

coryjames79 and Heavymetal like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure the coins are real. I don't know the going price for these.

coryjames79 likes this.
  6. numist

numist Member Supporter

I agree with Randy and MrWeasel. If presented to me I wouldn't pass up the opportunity. Nice coins.

7. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Awesome, thank you for taking the time!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you for the input much appreciated

9. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you!

10. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you for the info. Always appreciate learning something new!

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If they are graded and slabbed by a TPG there are good to go. No need to worry about cleaning and real or fake. You should have a RS Yeoman Red Book yo assist you in your collection. The prices in the book are just a guide.

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

They're real, they're certified by the top-tier third-party grading services, and I agree with @mrweaseluv that the 1857 looks undergraded. I think the 1858 is very wholesome-looking for the grade. I'm less enchanted with the somewhat darker and patchy toning on the 1857, but that's only a minor consideration. Both nice coins.

coryjames79 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

@coryjames79

Be advised that the two FEC you have chosen are two very nice well sought after variety specimens.
    The 1857 type I is in fact the snow 2 1857 obv of 56 squared O in of broken wing tip.
    The 1858 lg letters a snow 1 over date 1858/7 all pups are seen on this specimen..
    The value of these two would be more if variety was noted on the slab.
    However I will say that the purchase at current bid....would be way below value of the specimen in the condition and rarity of the variety.
    58/7 xf $650/700 au 1100/+
    57 obv of 56 I have no current pricing however one can reference past sales. $275. In vf pcgs
    Both specimens have more meat on the bone and a solid value at bid.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    coryjames79 likes this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of Mint State examples which might help learn how they in that grade.

This is graded MS-65.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent All.jpg

This is an MS-64.

1858 Flying Eagle All.jpg

Seeing all of the detail helps you spot when detail has been lost because of wear.

coryjames79 likes this.
  15. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you for the info and picked one up!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  16. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you for the information. I've never heard of all that to be honest, except for the 58/7 listed in my red book. I take it all that is a good thing correct? What do you mean by FEC, and PUPS. Pups - pick up points? So are these actually variety or non variety that someone missed?

17. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you! Seems like most I see its worn off on breast, upper wing, and tail.

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The breast and tail feathers can be weakly struck. Weakness on the tail and sometimes the head were the reasons for the early end to the design. The tail, especially was opposite the wreath, which resulted in strike weakness in the area. The metal flow was not right in all cases. It takes experience to be able to tell the difference between wear and a weak strike.

coryjames79 likes this.
  19. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you, as always very appreciative of the info!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Seeking some further consensus, does anyone else think these are variety coins like @Paddy54 states? @mrweaseluv, @Idhair, @numist. I've been going over tons of literature on them and honestly I can't tell unfortunately. Would be nice though. I don't know enough to conclude anything from the listing pics bc of quality. Variety coins or not they're still nice and worth the purchase I do believe.

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted