1856-o half what's it worth??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Jul 30, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

What would you grade this at and what price would you put on it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coin-Dude likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. smarch

smarch Active Member

Humbly, details coin, $45. Gorsh I hate being the first guesser with so many wiser.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Nice AU. Sell it on Ebay as an UNC...;)

5. DysfunctionalVeteran

If I dropped it on eBay as UNC I should be able to get around $200 or should I attempt to slab it to see what it comes back at first? If it's bad just crack it then list it?

6. Insider

IMO, why waste the money? If a TPGS :greedy::blackeye: grades your coin Uncirculated, they should be reported to the FTC! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Oh wait! I forgot that these days AU's are considered Uncirculated :( so you might possibly get an MS-61 or MS-62 on it. :facepalm:

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Decent XF, probably not quite 45, but I suspect the originality of the surfaces based on these images. Labeling it "Uncirculated" would serve to seriously damage your reputation as a seller. In a reputable slab with original surfaces, probably ~$125 or so; much less if non-original.

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'll take a stab and see where it falls with other's opinions...XF45, an old cleaning that may not be too much of an issue...raw maybe $100.

micbraun and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. DysfunctionalVeteran

Even the price the low AU's go for is more than I paid for it.

VF all the way to AU... 100$ - 400$ ish

A slab could settle a few hundred dollar difference. It's like a slot machine. Send in the $$ and take a chance.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  10. DysfunctionalVeteran

Even at XF45 on the NGC coin explorer I still paid less than that.

11. Insider

Remember, grading is subjective so...IMO, the old timers posting here are correct. When they learned how to grade, XF-45 would be a good choice. Things are different today. The only way you'll know AU or XF is to spend money on grading an average, run-of-the-mill coin. As I said, don't waste the money.
    Oh, if you go to a major show with TPGS graders in attendance you can get a free opinion.

DysfunctionalVeteran likes this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Depending on the luster left anywhere from a 40-53 is possible if you sent it in. I think it'd be a 50 with plus or minus one grade being no surprise

13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looks like a beautiful XF+ coin. Very lovely :)

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks like a cleaned 45 to me , but with today's tpgs a 50 is possible which to me is a shame . Looks like it has some hairlines too .

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

XF..........

16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I agree that it has the appearance of being cleaned, but it is still lovely.

rzage likes this.
  17. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

They're probably magnified by the pics .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

To me it is a minimum XF45, seen in hand it may have some claims to AU50. If cleaned it was gentle enough and long enough ago that from the pictures it wouldn't bother me at all. In hand it may be a different matter.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted