1856 2 1/2 dollar gold piece. SAVED FROM MY JEWELERS MELTING POT TODAY!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WpnsExpert78, Aug 23, 2012.

1. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

This coin is real as far as I can tell and the pictures are all I have until tomorrow when I get to my good camera. So make do guys.

1856 2.5 r-001.jpg 1856 2.5-001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Is that a D mint mark?

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If that is a D, that would be a great find. With only about fifty known, it would go somewhere in the $12,000 range. I suspect that somebody messed with an O to make it look like a D.

5. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

What is that blob where the mint mark should be?

7. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

Bad picrture (ARROW FLETCHING) I deleted the wrong photo earlier that is the one I am stuck with until tomorrow. It is nothing the coin is in very good condition I would even say mint compared to photograde side by side.

8. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

9. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

Nice AU coin. I'd say 53.

10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Could you tell us what it cost you? If it's what I think it is. It's a 1856d : value would be about retail [red book] ef+++$12000.00, Numismatic News has a value of ef $12500.00. Down here the guys hold on to the the gold and silver for three day and send all to the smelters. I asked if I could see some and they would not. I asked if they knew anything about coins and they said no. They just want to turn the metal over as soon as possible. No telling how many great coins are being done away with. Some of the late issues will be more valuable, because of so much that have been done away with. The true numbers will never be known now. Great find. The coin is worth more than a EF++. I looked at the first pictures only, now I see the second set of pictures,it's not a "D". Still a nice coin.

11. MrCheeks

MrCheeks Active Member

I have to say that's a nice looking coin. If it had only been a D!!

12. WpnsExpert78

WpnsExpert78 New Member

Actually gentleman the coins were bought by my jeweler over the past several years below spot prices. She calls me often when she gets coins brought to her and I usually buy the coins she has. Last week I went to pick up a my wife's necklace I had made by her, she stated that she was going to clean out her vault and asked if I would stop by, "OF COURSE I WILL!", was my reply. Now on normal day I would buy the coins at spot price or so and be on my way. However NOT this time, I showed my "OH SHOOT" face and she knew she had something so cost went up. Now I was very excited to show these coins to you guys so I started posted pics and now that the shock has calmed a little and my wife has put me in check I am slowly going through them all. As I get each coin finished I will post the pics and updates.

By the way if it helps you understand a little about me "I CAN NOT PLAY POKER EITHER"!

Draft saved Draft deleted