1856 1C PCGS says it was repaired....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jeweler, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Jeweler

Jeweler Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Pics are broken. If you can't tell by sight I'm guessing their sniffer or xrf showed the addition of puddy on the surface maybe

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Jeweler

Jeweler Junior Member

Don't know of to insert images into a message but just provided the links to my dropbox pictures, if you click on the links you will see the pics.

thank you

5. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Use the Upload a File button just below where you are typing your message. You will get a Choose File prompt so you can navigate to where your image file is stored.

6. Jeweler

Jeweler Junior Member

ok, got it, here are the pictures.

thank you

Attached Files:

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Curious. Why won't PCGS explain how they felt a coin was repaired?

8. Jeweler

Jeweler Junior Member

Not sure why, When I talked to them they just said it was repaired/damaged without any explanantion and that they would not assign a grade otherwise this would have graded between XF40 and XF50.

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Take some photos from straight on, not at an angle. Use some better lighting, also.

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:arghh: Once the coin leaves their office, they don't have the coin to comment on!

On occasion (I've been told) a grader will enter a location or reason in the computer for hardly detectable things that a knowledgeable collector/dealer may miss.

In the case of your OBVIOUSLY DAMAGED coin - that's not necessary. Take another look. If you cannot find the damage (hint - look on the reverse) you may wish to have your eyes checked or make sure you use a magnifying glass when making more purchases. Additionally, I'll advise you to only purchase coins in slabs.

11. Jeweler

Jeweler Junior Member

see more photos

Attached Files:

• 0113.jpg
      0113.jpg
      File size:
      402.5 KB
      Views:
    • 0114.jpg
      0114.jpg
      File size:
      427.9 KB
      Views:
  12. RonSanderson

I downloaded your photos, cropped them, and adjusted them a bit. Hope this helps. I don't have an opinion on why they are Details, though. Photo Jul 22, 11 52 31 AM.jpg Photo Jul 22, 11 52 53 AM.jpg

Daniel Jones likes this.
  13. Jeweler

Jeweler Junior Member

I did not buy the coin yet, it belongs to one of my customers, the agreement we had was that the coin has to be certified in order for me to make an offer, I am trying to sell the coin for him.

14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I will agree with Insider that look on reverse it shows

Insider likes this.
  15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

other than the rim dents are those drill holes that I see especially on the right side ?
    I'm not as astute as you guys are on seeing issues /damage / repair.

16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

YES! Anyone else see it? We are considered to be "serious" collectors here!
    I'm dying here :arghh: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: :dead:.

Someone post a photo of an undamaged reverse. I don't know how. :facepalm::shame::blackeye:

C-B-D and Smojo like this.
  17. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Maybe the "M" and "E" in America on the obverse look a little weird. Or is it me?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

18. Jeweler

Jeweler Junior Member

Are you talking about the small circle under the claw? Some of us here are beginners.

19. RonSanderson

I borrowed this from the PCGS Photograde site for comparison, not having much experience with this series.

Snap1.jpg

Clawcoins, bigjpst and Insider like this.
  20. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

The area in question of the grader most certainly is on the reverse at the top where the laurels come together. Would have to be blind to miss it.

Smojo, bigjpst and Insider like this.
  21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

They could've or maybe should've tagged it as tooled as opposed to repaired. I think they use repaired as a catchall when they want to be general

Draft saved Draft deleted