1855 Half Dime DDO -001

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

After doing some research I believe this 1855 H-10 to be a V-7 DDO-001
    The doubling is shown on some of the shields horizontal bars, lettering ,"Liberty" & her thumb. This is minor doubling seen only on one part of design elements. So difficult to say what class of doubling. More likely Class IV ,offset hub doubling . This would occur on the first hubbing in the press.with only partial image of the center design was hubbed into the die.the working hub slightly offset from the original position,which would create the doubled image on those central elements. there has also been two other specimens found with the same type of doubling, guessing that it's so slight no numbers were assigned,just noted that there's more than one that exist. The specimen shows some nice clashes on the rev. The obv. Show 2 huge arrow heads that extend into the rock base. The arrows usually set lower and are much smaller in size . 1855 H-10 71417 obv.jpg 1855 H 10 71417 rev.jpg 1855 H 10 71417 1.jpg 1855 H 10 71417 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here's the only image I could fine .
    https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-variet...s-1837-1873/1855-arrows-ddo-h10c-fs-101-5819/

4. Paddy54

Yeah Rick you need to dig deep to find information on this one . It's there but the ddo isn't as bold as major doubled dies are. Thus interest level isn't that great. However that said as a variety collector , and half dime enthusiasts I'm loving it .
    I'm working on a 53 O rpm now also. What's interesting about it is the series used 3 size o mint marks. Another thing is in the series you hear a lot about RPD and MPD but not many RPM's.
    My question is.... and think about this ...so many RPD ' s and MPD's how come only a few RPM 's ?
    You would believe and it would stand to reason missed punches on dates and punches in areas that's incorrect why wouldn't there be more missed punched mint marks? @Rick Stachowski

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

6. Paddy54

Yes and that's what got me thinking ....about h-10's with RPM's . True only O and S mint marks ,and not a ton of them....but one would think there be more.
    I do collect RPM's as well as other varieties.
    Don't know what's more exciting the hunt or find..... but definitely fun and rewarding .

Draft saved Draft deleted