1854 U.S. Half Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I picked this up today at the show, since copper isn't something I am well versed in I appreciate any feed back as to grade and value..... DSCN7701.JPG DSCN7702.JPG . Thanks in advance

Liberty is doubled

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow amazing half cent!

Paddy54 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I don't know much bout these but, I love Copper.
    The chocolate areas in the field have me at a AU55

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Nice one. My gut says AU53 BN.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

very nice Au coin

8. Paddy54

@SuperDave Dave you're good on coppers what's your opinion? Thanks

9. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Stunning solid piece

10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Very nice....looks like AU? I'm still searching for one of these in same grade. Head looks like a doubled profile.

Beefer518 likes this.
  11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I checked some auction examples and I would guess AU 55 , C-1. Don't ask me what C-1 means but the examples with that attribute seemed to have a similar Liberty.

12. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Itmeans it's the Cohen 1 variety, and this coin does look like it is the Cohen-1. Nice pickup!

13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Thanks for the info about what C-1 means. I may just have to read up on half cent varieties.

14. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Like the chocolate and I was also at AU. But I don't think those minor scratches will affect the grade. What is that spot on the cheek? I have some half cents, as I consider them undervalued due to the low mintage numbers. But the details on this coin are superior.

coinsareus10 and fish4uinmd like this.
  16. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I've been on the hunt for one of these as it's the last empty classic slot in my type album (I agree with Michael K that they are undervalued.)

Was doing my usual eBay search last night with this coin fresh in mind... I wouldn't be surprised at all if this graded at 55.

17. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

I saw this coin in hand...and did my best to steal it, but @Paddy54 caught me!!

18. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Looks like an AU to me. C-1 is the only variety of the year. It might be what they call a "chatter strike" in which there is a bit of die bounce. It doesn't add or detract from the value. Nicely struck, which these generally are.

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

It looks like a nice AU to me as well. Nice even color. Nice coin.

C.Q.R (Copper Quotes by Robinson) describes the rarity of 1854, C-1 (only variety for the year) as R-1+, with 'Available in Mint State (many), Hoard Coin'.

CQR quotes the value for a strict AU50 at $225 (average) to $300 (choice).
    (AU55 is valued at $300-$400 respectively).
    Again, these apply to strict EAC graded coins which we know is quite tough.

20. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

I would not give a coin an "EAC grade" without looking at it in the copper. Commercially, it looks AU.

21. Paddy54

Thanks to all whom replied. I've been on the hunt for this specimen for quite some time now. Oh yes have run across several over the time period, however they were either way over priced to fill a slot in a type set ,or damaged ,detailed in some way.
    My only reservation was the spot on her cheek. But that soon didn't matter after I asked the seller for his price. We both agreed it was an Au. In grade. And since I only paid $99.995 over face I'm now convince more then ever the purchase was a good one!
    Jerry aka fish4uinmd was at the show ,as he sung around the room for the god only knows what time...lol....I showed him the coin. At which he asked where I got it and price. He was so excited for me and my catch.

As for the doubling yes I agree most probably a chatter strike. Still a very cool coin which I am extremely happy to own and add to my collection.
    Low mintage, nice solid Au. Coin at a price 2 to 3 times less than most are on the market...for. I say it was a great catch ,and again thank all of you who posted for the feed back.
    Oh I also purchased a few Canadian coppers yesterday. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and New Brunswick which I will post later on. Thanks again! :)

CircCam likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted