1854 SEATED LIBERTY HALF DIME, PMD?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coins776, Jun 12, 2014.

1. coins776

coins776 no title

002c.jpg 002d.jpg what do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It did not come from the mint like that.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Some kind of love token. Half dimes were the favorite target of these. I bet you there was writing in the center of this piece that has worn off.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The start of a love token, not engraved.

6. medoraman

Yeah, you are right Frank. Maybe they didn't get to the engraving part yet. I must have 20 or more half dime love tokens from junk lots over the years. I have dimes and quarters as well, but the half dimes by far were the preferred denomination.

7. coins776

coins776 no title

i contacted the seller and told them that i am returning the coin for a refund. the coin was $8.30 and i am sending it back by regular first class mail, i am not spending $5.05 to send it back. the seller said that they want me to send it with a tracking number, (because they know that cost too much money to make it worth returning the coin) if the will provide the shipping label then i will send it that way. i told them that i am sending it back by first class mail and they will refund my money, period. and i told them that they should not be allowed to list coins that way, it is mail fraud. i called ebay and told them about the seller and they did not seem to care how the sellers list their coins. i am thinking that ebay will probably ban me from buying items, (because i complained about the seller) and continue to let the sellers list their items in any fashion that they see fit, dishonest or whatever.

8. medoraman

How did they list it? The reverse engraving is plainly visible. Did they not show a photograph of the reverse? I am simply trying to understand how you were misled.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Please post a link to the auction.

10. coins776

coins776 no title

11. coins776

coins776 no title

the seller said that i should file a case with ebay if i want a refund. i did that. and i sent the coin back to the seller by regular first class mail. they must have received the coin by now. they have not mentioned that they received the coin yet, and no refund yet. the seller is still is saying that the coin is a rare error coin, in spite of the facts.

12. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I guess it should mostly be obvious that it isn't a rare error coin, but I can understand why you would want to send it back.

Unfortunately since you opted to not send it with a tracking number, the seller could probably claim anything that they want and since you don't have proof that it was delivered, it can't be proven that they received the coin for a refund.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The seller was wrong, it's not an error. You were wrong for bidding on something you did not know anything about. Did you notice his auctions are private?
    At this point you are both mad at each other. He will keep your money because you did not follow the rules and you will neg him. All over $8 and the post office got half of it.

14. coins776

coins776 no title

the seller issed a refund about a half hour ago. if sellers would keep the money, and lie about the coins and try to say that they did not receive the coins, well, then should they really be allowed to sell on ebay in the first place? this seller will get to enjoy some negative feedback.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You would be wrong to neg him at this point. You did not know what it was. Maybe he did not know. Do the right thing and don't leave any feedback.

medoraman and GeorgeM like this.
  16. medoraman

I agree. I would strongly disagree with any negative. Both of you were wrong.

17. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree with the sellers deceptive "marketing tactics" or lies, but they may not know any better themselves. He/She held up their end of the return, so I just wouldn't leave feedback.

18. coins776

coins776 no title

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

So have you picked one to create a problem with?

20. coins776

coins776 no title

they create their own problems by listing coins that way. are you that type of seller? the way that you keep defending them and their listings makes it sound that way. the way that those sellers list coins is (by ebay rules) not allowed. i wonder why are they still allowed to sell on ebay after so many deliberate infractions.

21. medoraman

Sir, I agree with Idhair as well. The seller took good photos, enough that the buyer should have known what he was buying. In law, if both the buyer and seller is mistaken as to the good, then no sale legally has taken place, but also no cause of action is created. I view your transaction the same way, it sounds like both of you were in error. MAYBE the seller listed it that way, MAYBE the seller knew better, but at least he provided clear photos, clear enough that a collector with any real knowledge of error coins would know it was not an error in any way. I do not even collect error coins but had enough knowledge to know in half a second the coin you posted was not an error.

So, my opinion is the seller should not receive negative feedback. He posted good photos and issued a refund to an unhappy customer. That to me is the sign of at least a semi-responsible seller. I strongly believe you would be in the wrong to give him a negative after those two things.

Draft saved Draft deleted