1854 Seated Dime W/Arrows -- Grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sf340flier, Dec 15, 2006.

1. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

I have learned so much by posting pictures of coins I buy (or are considering buying) that I thought I'd try another:smile .

I know very little about seated dimes. I picked this one up once again from my local dealer in my quest to build my Dansco 7070.

Any and all grade opinions (and any other opinions are welcome).

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

flier:
    Nice coin, XF probably.
    What is that white stuff on both sides?
    Good luck

4. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

Possibly cleaned EF-30/35.

5. Treashunt

I presume that you mean XF-40 or XF 45?
    Or VF-30, VF-35?

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

How about EF-35. It appears to have been cleaned once as well. No biggie, it could be the lighting you used too???

Ben

7. Treashunt

Or VF-35?

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

OOPS, yes VF-35. Sorry about that :)

Ben

9. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

I'd say if you can get it for VF-ish money you're doing fairly well, especially since it's not a bad-looking coin, previously cleaned or no. More than that I'd not likely pay for it with those pictures.

Fish

10. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I think your coin has been harshly cleaned and has altered surfaces. As far as sharpness, I would say it has xf sharpness. I also won't be surprised if someone felt the coin had environmental damage.

11. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Oh, and as far as my opinion of the coin, I like it :) I think seated dimes and half dimes are greatly underappreciated, and I find them to be one of my favorite us designs. If I had seen an identical coin, and was currently buying, I would think 50 or so would be a fair price.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I disagree with those who say this coin has been harshly cleaned. IMHO, if it was cleaned it was long ago, and not harshly so, as I see no evidence of it other than the lighter-than-expected color. The "white" areas do concern me -- as seen near the date and arrows -- this could be evidence of cleaning or corrosion/environmental damage.

This is a coin I would not be comfortable buying from the photos alone -- I'd have to see it in-hand.

I grade the coin VF 38 and reserve comment as to its originality...Mike

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd say VF25, too much wear to go higher IMO. I also think it's be cleaned, more than once. It looks like someone took a pencil eraser to it on the right obverse. The white stuff mentioned appears to be dip residue.

14. mrh757

mrh757 Senior Member

XF detail net grade VF( cleaned)---an ANACS trick!!

15. Freddypm

Freddypm Member

The detail is still excellent in the shield. I think this is Xf-ish.

Draft saved Draft deleted