1854-S $5 "Discovery of a Lifetime"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by brokecoinguy, Apr 19, 2018.

1. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice story.. Thanks for sharing!

brokecoinguy likes this.
  5. awesomeitems

awesomeitems Member

Amazing story! Thanks for sharing.:happy:

brokecoinguy likes this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm going to see the Smithsonian example up close in a few weeks. I was awestruck when I received the NGC email about this one last night. I don't know which NE dealers examined it and declared it fake, but I never got to see it.

I'll be very surprised if this coin doesn't bring $1.5MM.

Sunflower_Coins and brokecoinguy like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 4 looks odd:
    ynitdkzngur5.jpg

brokecoinguy likes this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Very cool discovery.

brokecoinguy likes this.
  9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I wondered who looked at it too. As i know most of them. Man I’d love to find that. I believe it’ll bring a million and a half plus

brokecoinguy likes this.
  10. Michael K

The first one I did a net search it says NGC. The 2nd one is the coin from the article.
    3814025-004o.jpg ynitdkzngur5.jpg

11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

As someone who loves early S mint coins (Seated and Liberty Head) this is an amazing find to me. However, the new discovery seems to be a different obverse die from the first coin.

I’ll use a denticle ruler like on Seated dimes. Going straight down from the tip of the bust and counting that as denticle 0, the first coin is position 0B1 (with the left tip of the bottom of the 1) while the discovery coin is a 1C. The date is in a different position.

To explain that a bit easier, the first coin has the left tip of the 1 pointing down to the space between denticles. The discovery coin has the 1 pointing down to the center of a denticle.

Interestingly, the Smithsonian example (on PCGS) also has position 1C. The Smithsonian example also has the weakness on the 4 that the discovery coin has. The Boyd piece has the same date position. I don’t think any pictures of the Dupont piece exist - it was stolen in the 1960s and has never been seen since.

Is the first picture of a genuine 1854-S $5?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Stevearino and brokecoinguy like this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I was going to ask the same question. The two images shown are not from the same obverse die and with a mintage of only 268 coins I seriously doubt they would have used two obverse dies.

13. ToughCOINS

I have a difficult time believing the first photo from @Michael K is a real 1854-S.

Not only is the date out of position relative to the dentils, but the date is also too close to the bust, and there are many tooling marks at Liberty's eye which are entirely absent from the known examples of the 1854-S.

Stevearino and Omegaraptor like this.
  14. Michael K

The 1st one from post #6? That is the discovery coin.
    The first one from post #9 might not be a San Francisco.
    However, the 4 on the discovery coin looks bad.
    I was waiting for some information, like they reworked the 1851 die or something.

15. Omegaraptor

The weakness on the 4 is actually a good sign, as the Smithsonian piece has that same die feature. It’s like the 1853-O No Arrows half dime - if you see one with a strong date, it’s fake. The coin left the Mint looking like that.

Stevearino and Michael K like this.
  16. Michael K

It's such a bad 4. Did they rework the 1851 die?

17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

This is one really exciting find, even if you don't collect gold at all. A big deal was made about the 5th 1913 Liberty nickel being found, but that's nothing compared to this legitimate coin unknown until now. I'm hoping to get to see it at a show one of these days. I assume someone will be exhibiting it at the ANA show this summer.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  18. Omegaraptor

Absolutely true. We knew that the 5th 1913 nickel existed somewhere, its whereabouts just weren’t known. This coin was not known until now, and it’s a genuine example. Looking at die markers, I’m going to have to agree with the experts. This piece is 100% genuine.

19. Omegaraptor

Another note: Even four surviving examples of the 1854-S $5 is a stroke of luck. Unlike the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels, the 1854-S $5 was just dumped into local circulation with no thought. These coins were the workhorses of California commerce, and all early dates are far scarcer than generally percieved. It’s estimated that about 100 examples of the 1858-S $5 survive out of an original mintage of 18600. Applying this ratio to a mintage of 268 tells us that about 1.44 examples should survive. But there are four.

20. ToughCOINS

We must remember that this is a San Francisco issue from the 1850's and might someday come up in significant numbers in a salvage operation.

Stevearino and Omegaraptor like this.
  21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@brokecoinguy
    Here is a small article that I found in todays New York Post newspaper
    20180425_092508-1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted