1854 O, big or small?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Danjohnson, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

I'm friends with the owner and it wasn't him that looked at it initially. Older fellow that works for him did while he was out. I'm not sure the owner knows all the ins and outs on coins. Definitely doesn't have the experience found here. The older fellow is long since retired and works part time, probably out of boredom. I don't think he meant to miscall it, I think he's just so old, his eyesight and such isn't up to par.

The owner is much younger, younger than me and seems more into the bullion side of the business. He has successfully return a 1916 SLQ and a 1909s, VDB. I trust him more than I trust myself to do this. Plus, last time I looked, the various services wanted a yearly contract or something like that? Wish I found coins like this often enough to justify that but, not even close.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They have 30k on the coin facts page but I can't find an auction record for either of them, looks like they have both been sold privately during their lives and I suspect one of them might be the former Eliasberg which was sold raw in 1997. The highest graded PCGS to sell was a 45 in 2014 for about $6500 which sold for the almost exactly the same price as the NGC AU 50. Both of those sales were in October 2014 at Heritage.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I wouldn't attempt to put a grade on this, I don't have that skill.
    I'm hoping, however, that someone with that skill posts their opinion.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You're welcome. I help when I can.

7. baseball21

He may have meant well, I just don't trust others to send my coins in for me especially the valuable ones.

As far as the TPGs wanting yearly contracts they do and they don't. ANACS you could just send too though would probably be leaving some value on the table, but would be a good option to verify that it is initially. PCGS does charge a membership fee, but you actually save money from the cost of the membership compared to the value of the grading vouchers you get if you get the one with the 8 free coins. NGC charges 150 and gives you a 150 credit, so really they are all free to belong too it is just that the big two have you pay a bit up front but you get that money back or more in the grading credits.

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Well Dan the coin gods smiled on you today!
    No matter the cash value the find in itself and the rarity would keep me stoked for quite some time.... as a variety collector this is a huge find ....no,pun intended towards the variety or the O. Congratulations and enjoy it.... I can tell a few here have hearing your good fortune .

Danjohnson likes this.
  9. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Isn't it 8 for $50+$25 postage?

10. Paddy54

Yes I believe so they did run a 4th of July special also..... I'm an inside member I can check.

11. baseball21

If you are on their mailing list you get an extra 3 coins free

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Sound advice . ....for sure...

13. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'm on cloud nine right now. I don't have the understanding of coins like most of you but I'm smart enough to google "coin trackers" and get a general idea. I was pretty sure the guy at the coin shop was wrong and knew you guys would be able to confirm it.

Boy, weird thing about this hobby is when you do really well, it's hard to top and leads to a bit of depression. I found a park several years ago, that had managed to be missed by the eighties and more recent, detectorist's. Was pulling barbers out everywhere, and so many Indian head pennies, I lost interest in digging them. Now, finding a barber or Indian head, is a rare treat and makes for a successful hunt. But after today? It's going to take a minute to get excited over another wheatie or merc. Unless that merc is a 1916 d, of course! (lol)

14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

That's the find of a lifetime. Congratulations!

15. Paddy54

I can tell you others here @Treashunt and @paddyman98 and a few others who do dirt fish will be happy to hear one of their fellow diggers hit pay dirt..... oh can't forget @lordmarcovan ;)
    As a variety collector I feel that this is proof that they are out there..... sort of like the x files..... :wideyed:
    They can be found cherry picking as well as digging .
    Now you know how Mel Fisher felt.... his motto "today is the day"

Danjohnson, paddyman98 and rickmp like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great find!

C-B-D and Paddy54 like this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

How do i get on the mailing list? I have some cheap Washington 25c that I may send.

18. baseball21

Just make an online account with them. If you've ever submitted anything there you will already have one as well

C-B-D likes this.
  19. Paddy54

I believe that they call it the" insider" on their website si
    sign up for that and they give you a few extra coins freely graded over the current special . Right now it's 5 for $50 +$25 shipping fee and because I signed up I can have 8 coins graded for the $50+ ship fee. The only catch is no values over $500.
    Still that's pretty sweet considering they usually charge $9-10 & you need 10-15 coins to get the deal.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    C-B-D likes this.
  20. baseball21

US coins only too. The one downfall is they are incredibly slow grading on the special tier which is to be expected given the price, but it does take forever.

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Great find.

Thanks for the mention, I have found some but no better dates.

But, Like Mel said: "today is the day"

Danjohnson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted