1854 Half Dime GTG

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MNcoinman, Dec 30, 2014.

?

What do you think the grade of this 1854 Half Dime is?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2015.
  1. XF45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AU50

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. AU53

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. AU55

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  5. AU58

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. MS60

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. MS61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS62

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. MS63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. MS64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MNcoinman

MNcoinman Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice coin with sweet eye appeal . I also believe I see a MPD under the shield just left of the point. Looks to be a base of a 1 , though not listed in cpg . The clash on the rev. Of stars in the word states and slightly below very nice,
    Love the tone and details. Sweet pick up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  4. Paddy54

Here's a close up of a 1854 HD of mine to compare the shield area. Mine does not have the device. Notice on the OP obv. photo there's a small device just under" the left side"the point of the shield. 1854 HD Date.jpg

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Rusty obverse die and a flat strike I see a touch of a rub so I went 58 the color and luster could've gone 62 tho

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

My thinking is similar to Bill's but I would not be surprised if it is in a 62 holder even with the slight rub. Nice coin!

7. Paddy54

It is a flat strike look at the VA in her gown. I first gave her a 62 then dropped down to a 60 with I used PCGS photo guide to look at the finer points. Again nice eye appeal and personal I would pull the trigger on this one.

8. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It is hard to distinguish between rub and a weak strike without assessing the coin in hand to examine the luster. I am leaning towards there actually being some wear. AU55.

9. MNcoinman

MNcoinman Member

Shoot I forgot to update these. I don't have a full slab picture for this one, but it's graded by ANACS as AU58

Draft saved Draft deleted